Panetta Institute for Public Policy
Congressional Internship Program and 2019 Lecture Series
If you have any questions regarding the programs listed below, please contact Casey Robertson, Sr. Administrative Assistant for the Political Science Department, 408-554-4508. Please do not contact the Panetta Institute for Public Policy directly.
Congressional Internship Program
The Panetta Institute for Public Policy’s 21st annual Congressional Internship Program will be held from August 4th to November 29th, 2019. The program, open to students of any academic major who will have junior or senior standing this fall, is a combination of a two-week academic orientation held at the Panetta Institute at Cal State Monterey Bay followed by eleven weeks in Washington D.C. The internship is full-time and, upon completion, students will earn thirty upper-division elective units in political science. All program costs are covered, including housing, ground transportation, travel to and from Washington D.C., and a living stipend. One student from each of the twenty-three Cal State campuses, as well as one student from SCU (Mr. Panetta's alma mater), Dominican University of California (Mrs. Panetta’s alma mater), and Saint Mary's College are selected.
Please note the following:
- You must be a U.S. citizen and California resident to be eligible.
- The nominated student will be required to undergo a background check before working in Congress.
- Political Science majors satisfy only one major requirement through the internship--one section of POLI 198 as an upper-division elective.
- Finalists must be available for interviews on the afternoon of Wednesday, 2/13.
- The nominee must be ready to commit to the internship and be available to interview with Fr. Engh at 1:00 pm on Thursday, 2/21.
- a resume
- a two-page essay explaining your interest in the program
- a recent, graded writing assignment with the professor's comments (minimum of 3 pages)
2019 Leon Panetta Lecture Series
The Panetta Institute for Public Policy has graciously made available to SCU students a limited number of free seats for the 2019 Leon Panetta Lecture Series. The series will combine small group exercises led by Panetta Institute scholars and discussions among thought leaders moderated by Leon Panetta, former secretary of defense and former director of the Central Intelligence Agency. The lectures are open to all currently enrolled SCU students but seats are available only to the first 20 students to RSVP for each day. All events will be held at the Monterey Conference Center on Monday afternoons between 12:45 pm and 4:30 pm. Attendees must arrange their own transportation.
- February 25, 2019 Checks and Balances – The Mueller Investigation, the Law and the Presidency; Speakers: James Clapper, Maria Liasson and Chuck Rosenberg.
- March 25, 2019 Checks and Balances - The Role of the Press and the Congress; Speakers: Chris Christie, Mark McKinnon, and Mark Shields. Please note: This event is scheduled during SCU’s Spring Break.
- April 15, 2019 Checks and Balances - The Role of Nationalism, Globalism and Patriotism; Speakers: R. Nicholas Burns, John Kelly, and William McRaven.
Monterey Conference Center
One Portola Plaza
Monterey, CA 93940
Parking Fee: $7/day
Please contact Casey Robertson for additional information.