Skip to main content

DS-2019 Request Process

We're so happy you picked SCU! Once you've confirmed that you plan to attend we can begin the immigration processes necessary for you to join our university. 

Below we have outlined the process to request your DS-2019, the immigration document need to apply for a J-1 visa.

Requesting Your DS-2019

In order to create your DS-2019 we need your DS-2019 Request Packet which includes:

  • Completed DS-2019 Request
  • Documents showing Proof of Funding for Estimated Expenses
  • Copies of the biographical page from your passport
  • Copies of any prior U.S. visa stamps

If you have dependent family members (spouse or children) you want to join you in the U.S., your completed DS-2019 Request Packet should include a J-2 Dependent DS-2019 Request, as well as copies of the family member's passport biographical and U.S. visa page(s), and proof of funding for dependent expenses.

Submission Deadlines for DS-2019 Request Packets

In order to make sure we can process your DS-2019 in enough time for you to get your visa stamp, enter the U.S., arrive at SCU and complete your check-in and ISW before classes start, your DS-2019 Request Packet must be submitted by the following deadlines. 

Initial Term at SCU I-20 Request Deadline
Fall Quarter  / Fall Semester July 1
Winter Quarter / Spring Semester November 1
Spring Quarter February 1

Where to submit your DS-2019 Request Packet

Once you've completed your DS-2019 Request Packet make sure that you submit it.

Jesuit school of Theology students admitted into the Renewal program should submit completed DS-2019 Request Packets through the admission portal. Contact if you have any questions.

Documenting Proof of Funding for Estimated Expenses

In order to issue your DS-2019, we are required to collect documentation that shows you have funds available to pay for the total estimated expenses for the duration of your academic program. Estimated expenses are reported by the University in consultation with your academic program, the financial aid office and the Board of Trustees. Estimated expenses include tuition, fees, living expenses and health insurance.

Even if you believe that your actual expenses will be lower, we are still required to collect proof that you have funding available to cover the full estimated expenses for your program.  

If you are not listed as an account holder on the Proof of Funding documents, the Certification of Sponsorship Form must be completed.

If you will be funded by an institution (such as a religious order, congregation, business, or government follow the instructions below).

Documents that demonstrate proof of funding must be in English and must:

  • Be official (i.e. bank statements, official bank letters on bank letterhead with a stamp/seal and bank officer’s signature, certificates of deposit)
  • Be issued by the bank that holds the source of funds. *International Student Financial Resource Statement and College Board forms are not acceptable.
  • Demonstrate at least the minimum total  for one academic year in your academic program.
    • If you have an “all-inclusive” scholarship and the total dollar amount of the scholarship is not equal to, or greater than, the total minimum estimated expenses for your program, you must provide additional financial documentation for the remaining balance.
  • Include an issue date that is within three months of when your DS-2019 Request Packet is received by ISS.

The simplest way to demonstrate Proof of Funding is to get a letter from your bank. Here are the requirements for the bank letter:

  • Must be in English
  • Must have a letter issue date that is no more than 3 months before we get your I-20 request.
  • Must include a unique account number (partial numbers, such as XXXXXX123, are acceptable).
  • Must include the account holder's name.
  • Must confirm the specific amount in the account(s) in dollars (USD) or other currency. Note: If a USD amount is not specified, ISS will determine the currency conversion amount to USD.
  • Must confirm the type of account (checking, savings etc) or a confirmation that the funds are unrestricted and can be withdrawn at any time.

We do have international student at SCU who use loans to pay for some or all of their educational expenses. However, we do not accept loan documents, including loan approvals, loan sanction letters, or promissory notes for DS-2019 Proof of Funding, since they are not considered liquid funds.

If the loan has already been granted to you and disbursed into your bank account, we could accept your bank statement but a conditional loan confirmation letter or a confirmed loan letter would not be acceptable to our office for DS-2019 purposes.

We will accept any documentation showing liquid assets including:

  • Savings accounts without a maturity/expiry date
  • Checking accounts
  • Fixed deposit accounts
  • Certificates of deposit with a maturity/expiry date prior to the start date of your academic program

We cannot accept any documentation of funds that are not liquid (i.e. are not immediately available). 

Examples of that we cannot accept include:

  • Certificates of deposit with a maturity/expiry date that is after the start date of your academic program or a statement that the funds cannot be withdrawn on a date that is prior to the start date of your program.
  • Stock, equity, mutual fund accounts, or cryptocurrency
  • Retirement accounts, such as PPF's, IRA's and 401K's
  • Official letters stating one’s salary or networth
  • Loans
  • International Student Financial Resource Statement or College Board Forms

If your funding will be coming from an institutional source, the standard documents of a personal bank statement and Certification of Sponsorship will not be sufficient. Instead, please follow this guidance:


Religious Order / Congregation

Many of our students, especially those studying theology and ministry, are sponsored in whole or in part by religious orders and congregations. If your funding will be coming from a religious order or congregation you will need to submit:

The amount shown on the funding document will need to be well over the estimated expenses of your education, since the assumption will be that not all of the order or congregation's funds can be used to pay for the educational expenses (as they will need to retain funds for operating expenses). 


Company or Business

We do not recommend using company or business funding as it can create some complexity at the visa interview. To successfully use company or business funding you will need to convince the visa officer that you will not be working for the company while you are in the U.S.  If your funding will be coming from a company or business, you will need to submit:

  • A bank statement or bank letter from the company or business (must meet the proof of funding requirements)
  • A letter from the owner of the company, or the company's board of directors, confirming that they approve company funding being used for your educational expenses. The letter must be signed, dated, and printed on company letterhead.

The amount shown on the funding document will need to be well over the estimated expenses of your education, since the assumption will be that not all of the company's funds can be able to pay for the educational expenses (as they will need to retain funds for operating expenses). 



If your education will be paid for in whole or in part by a government entity we recommend that you upload whatever documents are available to you and we will review them and let you know if we need anything further to process your DS-2019 Request.


2023-2024 Estimated Expenses

Tuition estimate is based on anticipated units for year one.

Renewal Program (per year)

Tuition $14,000
Living Expenses $17,800
Health Insurance (estimate) $3,054
Total $34,854


Dependents of JST Students

Living Expenses: Spouse $7,000
Living Expenses: Child $4,000

Non-degree Exchange Per Quarter (J-1)

Tuition Covered by exchange agreement
Living Expenses $7,065
J-1 Health Insurance $1,000
Orientation and Enhancement Fees Waived by exchange agreement
Total $8,065

J-1 Non-degree Exchange Semester J-1

Tuition Covered by exchange agreement
Living Expenses $16,110
J-1 Health Insurance Varies by participant age
Total $16,110
Living Expenses: Spouse $10,000
Living Expenses: Child $ 5,000

The above figures represent the minimum estimated expenses for the 2022-2023 academic year.

Updated August 2022.

DS-2019 Processing Time

Once we’ve received your completed DS-2019 Request Packet, our standard processing time is 15 business days (business days are Monday to Friday, excluding university holidays).

  • If we have everything that we need, we will create your DS-2019 and notify you.
  • If we have questions or need any documents, we will contact you via email.
  • Please do not send any follow-up emails or requests to expedite your DS-2019 issuance -- we're working as fast as possible!

Once Your DS-2019 Is Created

You will receive an email once your DS-2019 is ready with important information including how to access your DS-2019 and proceed with the visa process.

Next Steps


US immigration regulations are complex and change frequently.  The University strives to maintain a website that is both current and helpful, however, Santa Clara University is not responsible for students maintaining lawful immigration status; this is the responsibility of the student.  Further, resources and links do not constitute endorsement by Santa Clara University.