Skip to main content

Policy 601 - Statutory Benefits

601. Statutory Benefits


Santa Clara University offers a program of employee benefits designed to enhance the well-being of its employees. In compliance with Federal and State laws, the University provides the following statutory benefits to all of its eligible employees, as defined by Federal and State law.


Social Security

Most employees participate in the Social Security Program through a mandatory payroll deduction. Social Security provides a retirement benefit for individuals who have worked the number of years required for eligibility. Other benefits may include disability income, survivor, dependent, and medical benefits. The amount contributed, which is matched by the University, is based on rates determined and established by the Social Security Administration.

Worker’s Compensation

The University provides a no-fault Worker’s Compensation insurance program. If an employee is unable to work because of on-the-job injury or illness, Worker’s Compensation covers medical expenses and pays a portion of lost wages based on the nature of the injury.

Unemployment Insurance

Most employees of the University are covered by the State Employment Security Law. Under the provisions of this law, employees of the University who become totally or partially unemployed, and who meet the eligibility requirements as set forth in the law, may be eligible to receive unemployment compensation.


Social Security: It is the responsibility of Human Resources to properly deduct social security contributions.

Worker’s Compensation: It is the responsibility of the employee to immediately notify the supervisor of any work related injury or illness in order to receive worker’s compensation.

Unemployment: It is the responsibility of the employee to notify the Employment Development Department in the event he/she may be eligible and seeks to receive unemployment compensation.


Social Security Administration: Contact the nearest SSA office for more information or Human Resources.

Worker’s Compensation: Contact Human Resources for additional information.

Unemployment: Contact the nearest Employment Development Department for more information or Human Resources.

Policy Approved: October 23, 1998

Last Updated: October 28, 1998

Last Reviewed: June 30 2022

Maintainer: Human Resources

Back to Top