Arrupe Weekly Engagement
The Ignatian Center and Our Community
Rooted in a faith that does justice, the Ignatian Center for Jesuit Education partners with local community organizations whose members and clients serve as co-educators for Santa Clara University students. Informed by and in conversation with Catholic social tradition, the Center facilitates community-based learning opportunities that underscore commitments to the common good, universal human dignity, justice as participation, and solidarity with marginalized communities.
- Reflecting a commitment to solidarity, SCU-community partnerships (and students’ encounters in the community) are marked by mutuality and reciprocal relationships.
- Community partners support student learning regarding dimensions of power and privilege from their own experiences of resilience in the face of struggle or vulnerability.
- Participating faculty guide students in identifying and probing integral connections between course content and community context.
- Students’ experiences and assignments from various disciplines prompt reflection about their citizenship in local and global communities, moral development and vocational discernment.
- ICJE staff supports all participants in drawing deeper connections with key intellectual resources of the distinctively Jesuit, Catholic tradition of education.