Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University
The Jesuit School of Theology and Santa Clara University support and prioritize the success of students enrolled in all of our programs. Renewal students will participate in classes alongside degree-seeking graduate students. We recommend the following:
- Familiarity with academic technology: Students utilize digital applications and platforms for admissions, student records, and campus email, as well as Moodle, the learning management system (LMS) in use at JST. Familiarity with this academic technology is beneficial.
- Computer hardware: JST recommends that you be equipped with, or have access to, a recent model laptop computer with current operating systems.
- Independent living in the U.S.: Students will reside in an apartment in the residential neighborhood of the school. (See the JST Housing pages linked here for more information.) JST recommends the following in order to meet daily living needs:
- Being equipped with a smartphone for communication with others.
- Being equipped with a smartphone to access online services such as rideshare (e.g. Lyft, Uber).
- Ability to utilize public transportation.
- Ability to manage grocery shopping, or delivery of groceries, and meal preparation. Please note that there is no dining service provided by the school.
- Ability to manage one’s finances in the U.S.; we strongly recommend having a credit card that is widely accepted in the U.S., and/or opening a U.S. bank account, so as to have a debit card.
- Comfort with navigating a residential area. For more information on housing at JST, please see the pages linked here.
- Health and Wellness: JST recommends that you anticipate your health and wellness needs during your studies at JST. Prior to arrival at JST, we recommend that you attend to the following:
- Bring an adequate supply of prescription medications.
- Renew and fill prescriptions for eyeglasses and/or contact lenses, hearing aids, and any other necessary medical devices or equipment needed for one’s health.
- Access dental care.
- For disability related needs, contact the Office of Accessible Education (OAE), which is linked here.
- Health Insurance: JST recommends that U.S. students confirm with their health insurance carrier that there are covered providers in the area of JST. International students on the J-1 visa will be enrolled in the Santa Clara University student health insurance plan, for which they will be billed through their student account.
If you anticipate any difficulties in following the above recommendations, please contact the program director to discuss alternatives. Paul Kircher, Renewal Program Director, may be reached by e-mail at: email@example.com