COEN Student Policies
Grad Students’ Overload Policy
The maximum load for a graduate student per quarter is 10 units. To overload to 12 units, a student must have a GPA of at least 3.4.
Grad Students’ CPT Co‐op Policy
- Must be a full‐time grad student in our CSE major or SE major (min 8 units per quarter).
- Completion of at least 24 graduate units (COEN 9xx units and transfer units do not apply to these 24 units).
- To be eligible to register for ENGR 288, students must complete 16 units of graduate level courses. (Transfer credit does not apply to the completion of these 16 units.)
- Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- F-1 students: must be full‐time for at least 9 consecutive months.
- Must be full‐time the quarter preceding co‐op.
- Must be an SCU student not working as a TA.
- The training objectives must be related to the field of study, and include learning to enhance academic knowledge, work, and learning to work with people.
- Typically each approval is about 3 months, but can check with the associate dean for grad studies.
Undergrad Students: Declaring/Switching into Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) and Web Design & Engineering (WDE) as a Major or a Minor
Due to already over-crowded classes in our department, we have stopped accepting students into our CSE and WDE programs, including majors and minors. This applies to:
- Declaring CSE/WDE as major from undeclared major.
- Choosing CSE/WDE as minor.
- Switching to CSE/WDE major from within SCU engineering.
- Transferring to CSE/WDE major from another college/school within SCU.
- Transferring to CSE/WDE major from outside SCU.