Grounded in the Jesuit approach to education, the School of Engineering’s vision is to educate the whole person to solve society’s most complex problems. Our vision is an engineering community that inspires and develops engineering leaders of competence, conscience, and compassion—entrepreneurial thinkers who will build a more just, humane, and sustainable world.
The mission of Santa Clara University's School of Engineering is to prepare diverse students for professional excellence, responsible citizenship, and service to society. The engineering school does this through:
- Distinctive academic programs that are designed to produce engineers who approach their profession with competence, conscience, and compassion.
- Broadly educated faculty, who model and encourage the notion of lifelong learning.
- Scholarly activities that create new knowledge and advance the state of the art of technology.
- Interactions with professional societies and companies in Silicon Valley and beyond.
- Service activities that benefit our diverse constituencies and humanity in general.
Based on our Vision and Mission, our values, known as iCARE, are:
integrity - in the pursuit of knowledge
Collaboration - between each other, across disciplines, and with Silicon Valley and beyond
Aspiration - for excellence in education, research, and service
Respect –and understanding of our differences among students, faculty, and staff
Exploration - of the frontiers of engineering by research and innovation
Santa Clara University's School of Engineering is dedicated to preparing students for professional excellence, responsible citizenship, and service to society. Our dynamic programs in applied mathematics, bioengineering, civil, environmental and sustainable engineering, computer science and engineering, electrical and computer engineering, engineering management and leadership, general engineering, mechanical engineering, and power systems and sustainable energy provide the theoretical and practical instruction necessary for professional excellence.
Combining expert instruction and a commitment to personal attention with a pedagogy that begins from an ethical perspective is our mission, and lays the foundation for everything we do. In its pursuit, we:
- Provide educational excellence that interlaces theoretical knowledge, practical application, and societal and environmental impact.
- Explore, cultivate and apply knowledge and scholarship in distinctive frontiers of engineering.
- Collaborate with our partners within the vibrant and diverse Silicon Valley community and throughout the world.
- Embrace our values and our Jesuit mission in developing a diverse and inclusive culture of integrity, mutual respect, and aspiration for excellence.
At SCU, we are “engineering with a mission”—a mission to serve our students, our valley, and our world. Our mix of rigorous academics, project-based learning, and values-based education nurtures students of competence, conscience and compassion into the leaders of tomorrow—leaders who are well-equipped to face the engineering and ethical challenges of the future.