In addition to fulfilling the University Core Curriculum requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree, students majoring in Mechanical Engineering must complete a minimum of 192 units.
Due to high enrollment in the MECH Department, we may not be able to provide enough quality advising for newly transferred students to complete the program in a timely manner. For the sake of a positive learning experience for existing and newly transferred students, we will apply a minimum performance in Math and Science as a criterion to transfer into the MECH Department. For details, please ask the Chair, Hohyun Lee: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accelerated B.S. / M.S. Program
The Department of Mechanical Engineering offers an accelerated combined degree program leading to the Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science open to mechanical engineering majors. Under the accelerated degree program, an undergraduate student begins taking courses required for a master's degree before completing the requirements for the bachelor's degree and typically completes the requirements for a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering at the end of the fifth year.
Undergraduate students admitted to the accelerated degree program begin taking graduate classes during their senior year. They are required to enroll in the program between February of their junior year and December of their senior year. Students in this program will receive their bachelor's degree after satisfying the standard undergraduate degree requirements. To earn a master's degree, students must fulfill all the requirements for the degree, including the completion of the master's thesis. No course can be used to satisfy the requirements for both the bachelor's degree and the master's degree. Learn More »
Study Abroad Program
Requirements for the ME Minor and AE Minor
Mechanical Engineering Minor
Students must fulfill the following requirements for a Minor in Mechanical Engineering:
- MECH 45/45L - Applied Programming in MATLAB
- CENG 41 - Mechanics I: Statics
- ELEN 50/50L - Electric Circuits I
- MECH 10L - Graphic Communications in Design Lab
Lower-Division Electives (Choose two):
- MECH 11 - Materials and Manufacturing Processes
- MECH 140 - Dynamics
- CENG 43/43L - Mechanics III: Strength of Materials
- MECH 15/15L - Introduction to Materials Science Lab
- MECH 121 - Thermodynamics I
Technical Sequence (Choose one two-course sequence):
- MECH 122/122L and MECH 123/123L
- MECH 122/122L and MECH 132
- MECH 114 and MECH 115
- MECH 141/141L and MECH 142/142L
*Please be aware of the prerequisites for the Technical Sequences courses; this may influence your choice of Lower Division courses.
All undergraduates are eligible for the Aerospace Engineering minor. Students intending to earn this minor should seek advice from the Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Two courses from the Fundamental Courses list
- MECH 145- Introduction to Aerospace Engineering
- Two courses (8 units) from the Aerospace Courses list
Note: Only a maximum of 8 units of aerospace engineering minor courses can be used to fulfill the mechanical engineering technical elective requirement.
- MECH 140 - Dynamics (4 units). Prerequisite: CENG 41. Co-requisite: AMTH 106.
- CENG 43 - Strength of Materials (4 units). Prerequisite: CENG 41. Co-requisite: CENG 43L.
- MECH 121 - Thermodynamics (4 units). Prerequisite: PHYS 32.
- MECH 122 and 122L - Fluid Mechanics (5 units). Prerequisite: MECH 140. Co-requisite: MECH 122L.
- MECH 132 - Aerodynamics (4 units)
- MECH 153 - Aerospace Structures (4 units)
- MECH 155 - Astrodynamics (4 units)
- MECH 158 - Aerospace Propulsion Systems (4 units)
- MECH 205/206 - Aircraft Flight Dynamics I, II (4 units)
- MECH 371/372 - Space Systems Design and Engineering I, II (8 units)
- MECH 431 - Spacecraft Dynamics and Control (4 units)