Dr. Serrette joined the SCU faculty in 1991 and founded the Light Gauge Steel Research Group (LGSRG), currently the Center for Light Frame Structural Research (CLSFR), in 1994. Work conducted by the LGSRG/CLSFR has contributed to the design provisions for cold-formed steel structures and the development of several innovative light frame products. In addition to his research professional activities, Dr. Serrette is a past president of the Light Gauge Steel Engineers Association (currently, the Cold-Formed Steel Engineering Institute) and serves as a faculty advisor to the National Society of Black Engineers and the American Society of Civil Engineers student chapters.
Ph.D., Cornell University 1992
M.S., University of Manitoba 1988
B.S., University of Manitoba 1987
Current Research Interests
Dr. Serrette's current interests are in the area of performance-based seismic resistant design of light frame structures, and sustainable, innovative and affordable design of residential and institutional structures. He has an emerging interest in methodologies for evaluating the environmental performance of construction materials.
- Santa Clara University Packard Mentor/Scholar Professor: 1998-2002
- Santa Clara University School of Engineering Research of the Year, 2001
- Santa Clara University President's Recognition Award, 2000
- CENG 43 Strength of Materials Structural Analysis
- CENG 44A/44B Strength of Materials I/II
- CENG 143 Structural Steel Design
- CENG 146/246 Cold-Formed Steel Design
- CENG 234 Structural Steel Design II
For a list of Civil Engineering course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Courses page or the Graduate Courses page.
- Serrette, R. and Peyton, D. (2009). Strength of Screw Connections in Cold-Formed Steel Construction. American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of Structural Engineering, Reston, VA, August, pp. 951-958.
- Serrette, R. and Nolan, D. (2009). Reversed Cyclic Performance of Shear Walls with Wood Panels Attached to Cold-Formed Steel with Pins, American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of Structural Engineering, Reston, VA, pp. 959-967.
- Serrette, R (2008). Estimating the Effective Yield Strength of Cold-Formed Steel Light-Frame Shear Walls. Proceedings from the 19th International Specialty Conference on Cold-Formed Steel Structures, St. Louis, MO, October, pp. 457-470.
- Serrette, R. (2008). Qualifications for Equivalence: An Illustration and Discussion of New Seismic Evaluation Provisions. NCSEA/CASE/SEI, STRUCTURE Magazine, August, pp. 19-23.
- Serrette, R. (2003). Proposed Acceptance Criteria for Shear Wall Assemblies Consisting of Wood Structural Panel Sheathing Attached to Cold-Formed Steel Framing with Pneumatic- or Gas-power-driven Pin Fasteners. ICC-ES AC230, International Code Council, Whittier, CA, October.
- Serrette, R., et. Chau, K., (2003) Performance of Deep Leg L-Headers. Research report No. CLSFR 01-7/03, Center for Light Frame Structural Research, Santa Clara, CA, July.
- Serrette, R., et. al., (2002) Performance of Cold-Formed Steel-Framed Shear Walls: Alternative Configurations. Research report No. LGSRG-06-02, Light Gauge Steel Research Group, Santa Clara, CA, June.
- Serrette, R., et. al., (2002) Adhesive Applications for Shear Walls: A Pilot Study. Research report No. CLSFR-12-02, Center for Light Frame Structural Research, Santa Clara, CA, December.
- Serrette, R., et. al., (2002) Performance of Wood Framed Shear Walls with Non-wood Structural Panels. Research report No. LGSRG-2-02, Light Gauge Steel Research Group, Santa Clara University, CA, April.