Santa Clara University is pioneering a uniquely integrated science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) initiative to foster convergence and stimulate greater collaboration within the sciences and engineering.
Transforming the Campus
The Sobrato Campus for Discovery and Innovation, slated to open in early 2022, will be the new home for the Sciences, Engineering, and Mathematics at Santa Clara University. Built to support collaboration across traditional disciplines, the campus (located on Alameda Mall in the heart of SCU) will be an inviting home and a state-of- the-art laboratory facility—a place where undergraduate and graduate students can discover, learn, experiment, and innovate.
To view where departments and labs will be located during the construction of the new Sobrato Campus for Discovery and Innovation, click on the interactive map below:
Phase 2: Sobrato Campus for Discovery
Timeline: Winter 2019
Expected Completion: Early 2022
With the Engineering Center and Bannan Hall (former law classroom building) vacated, construction of the new $265M STEM building at the center of the Sobrato Campus for Innovation and Discovery will begin. Built to support collaboration across traditional disciplinary divides, the campus will be an inviting home to engineering, sciences, and mathematics. State-of-the-art laboratory facilities, design and innovation spaces, and more will make this a place where students can discover, learn, experiment, and innovate.
Phase 1: Surge Project (COMPLETED)
Timeline: Spring, Summer, Fall 2018
Expected Completion: December 2018
As the University prepares for construction of the new STEM building, we are committed to ensuring a seamless experience for all engineering students. We will be relocating the Engineering programs that are presently housed in the Bannan Engineering Center into a set of newly renovated temporary and permanent spaces. During the construction of the Sobrato Campus for Discovery and Innovation, we will maintain or even surpass the level of academic excellence expected of a Santa Clara engineering education.
As of Friday, December 14:
- Bannan Engineering, Sullivan Engineering, and Bannan Engineering Labs buildings are closed.
- Department Admins and Faculty, Dean's Office, and the Engineering Computing Center will open in the Heafey-Bergin Building on Jan. 7, 2019.
- Bioengineering Department will open at 900 Lafayette on Jan. 7, 2019.
- Civil Engineering Labs are now located at Alameda Hall.
- Center for Nanostructures is now located at Daly Science.
As of Monday, September 17:
- Bioengineering Teaching and Research Labs are now located at Alumni Science and Daly Science.
As of Monday, June 11:
- The Mechanical Engineering Teaching and Research Labs are now located at the Garage and the St. Clare Commons.
- The Latimer Energy Lab is now located at the St. Clare Commons.
- The Image Processing Lab is now located at the St. Clare Commons.