Skip to main content

FAQ for Parents

View directly, or right-click to save a copy.

How can my child apply for financial aid?

You can apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and we suggest that you review our application process.

What if I do not want to complete the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE?

Students who choose not to complete the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE will only be considered for University merit-based aid; and will not be considered for any other Santa Clara University aid.

I realized that I made an error on the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. How do I update the application, and re-submit it to Santa Clara University?

After you submit your CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE, it is not possible to change the information that you have provided. If your information is not accurate, print a copy of your submitted application, make the correction and mail us the copy.

What if there is a change in our family financials?

Special circumstances should be brought to the attention of the Financial Aid Office. You should put your request in writing, outlining your special circumstance. You may be asked to complete the appropriate SCU Appeal Request Form:

If my son/daughter does well academically, will his/her scholarship or grant be increased next year?

No. Our scholarships and grants are initially offered to your child in their first year, and do not increase in subsequent years.

Is there additional financial aid available beyond what is stated on the financial aid offer?

Your son/daughter may consider applying for a private educational loan. This is a loan borrowed through a major lender. Generally, the student must have a credit-worthy co-signer. As a parent, you may wish to consider a Federal Direct PLUS Loan.

If my son/daughter receives an outside scholarship will his/her financial aid be adjusted?

Generally private scholarships, those scholarships received from sources outside the university, will be used to meet your student's remaining unmet need, if there is any. If your son/daughter does not have a remaining unmet need, it may be necessary to adjust their financial aid.

Does my son/daughter have to use their Federal Work Study?

No. It is not mandatory that your child obtain work study employment. Work study earnings are intended to help your son/daughter pay for books, supplies and personal expenses during the academic year. If your child does not obtain a work study position he/she will not receive the work study offer; and these funds will be canceled from their offer at a later date.

What should I do if my child is selected for verification?

If your child is selected for verification, we will send your child a request for additional, missing or incomplete documents. Please respond to these requests as soon as possible, since the financial aid award is not final until the verification process is complete.

Does Santa Clara University have a payment plan that allows me to make monthly installments to pay my child’s bill?

Yes. Santa Clara University offers a monthly payment plan through CashNet/HigherOne. An alternative to a large payment each quarter, this plan allows you to make three monthly installments. There is no interest charge for this service, and there is an enrollment fee of $40.

Do we have to apply for financial aid each year?

Yes. You have to re-apply for financial aid every year; we suggest that you review our application process.

My question is not addressed here. How can I get an answer?

Contact us:

Telephone 1-408-551-1000
Visit us at the Enrollment Service Center(One Stop).