Welcome to the Santa Clara University Library. This guide is intended for SCU students, staff, and faculty, as well as visitors/community users who are not affiliated with the University, but who wish to use the Library's collections and/or facilities. All Library patrons must comply with these library use policies. Enforcement is supported by Campus Safety officers.
The Library advances the University's mission to educate engaged and accomplished citizens through our dynamic services and unique, extensive collections. Our community-focused staff are integral partners in creating and cultivating physical and virtual learning environments for open inquiry and academic excellence.
General Use and Conduct Policies
- Library patrons are expected to respect the rights of other patrons to use library resources and facilities.
- Library patrons are expected to respect and care for all library materials, equipment, and property and may not remove such items from the Library without proper checkout or authorization.
- Library patrons must not engage in disruptive activity or other behavior that interferes with the normal use and operation of the Library. Such behavior includes but is not limited to: verbal abuse, intimidation, or harassment.
- Library patrons must not maliciously access, alter, damage, or destroy any library computer or database.
- Library patrons must respect a staff member's request to relinquish a computer or other equipment for use by another patron.
- Non-SCU affiliates under the age of 16 must be supervised by an adult.
- The Library is not responsible for any loss or damage to personal property. Library patrons are responsible for their personal property at all times and should never leave personal property unattended.
- Brief, low volume cell phone conversations are permitted on the first floor. Please take longer conversations outside the building.
- Bicycles are not permitted in the Library.
- Only licensed service animals are allowed in the Library.
- When the Learning Commons is open between 11 p.m. - 7 a.m., access to the building is limited to SCU faculty, students, and staff with a valid ACCESS card. Visitors without valid SCU identification will be asked to leave the building.