The Orientation website is updated frequently so please refresh your web browser each time you visit a page within the website to make sure you are getting the most up-to-date information.
Information as of August 20, 2020
Below is a summary of various requirements that new students need to complete as part of Orientation 2020.
Important things to note:
- In general, the requirements listed below includes those listed on the "Next Steps" checklist sent to you by the Undergraduate Admission Office.
- The requirements listed below also include additional requirements some of which extend into the 2020-21 academic year.
- Also, the requirements listed below are related to Orientation and getting started at SCU. There may be other requirements throughout a student's first year at SCU, but we do not list those here since they are not relevant to Orientation.
- The "due by" dates listed below are for general guidance. You are responsible for reading the details about each requirement to view the exact deadlines and are recommended to complete requirements in a timely manner.
Academic Advising & Course Registration
All new students (first year students and transfer students) meet with their academic advisors and register for classes for the upcoming quarter during their respective Orientation sessions:
- First Year Students: During your assigned Orientation session in July, you will have a Zoom meeting with an advisor who will assist you with fall course registration. More information about this will be announced soon. Then, in the fall quarter, you will learn the name of your faculty advisor. You can meet with your faculty advisor or any of the advisors in the Drahmann Academic Advising and Learning Resources Center for academic advising.
- Transfer Students: At the end of June, either your major department or one of the advisors in the Drahmann Academic Advising and Learning Resources Center will reach out to set up a Zoom meeting to prepare for fall registration. Fall registration is scheduled for Monday, August 31. More information about registration will be announced soon.
For more details:
Due Before July
- Pay your enrollment fee
- Accept your financial aid package (if applicable)
- Register for Orientation
- Submit your housing deposit
- Activate your SCU email account
- Submit your AP scores, IB credit & University of Cambridge International exams
- Take the Calculus Readiness Exam
- Take a Second Language Placement Exam
- Participate in academic advising (for first year students participating in Orientation sessions in July)
Due in July
- Complete the online Technology for Academic Success Series
- Register for the Collegiate Recovery Program (if applicable)
- Submit your final transcripts
- Register for fall classes (for first year students participating in Orientation sessions in July)
- Participate in academic advising (for transfer students participating in Transfer Orientation in August)
- Verify grants, scholarships and loans (if applicable)
Due in August
- Register for fall classes (for transfer students participating in Transfer Orientation in August)
- Submit the I-20 request form (international students only)
Due in September
Being a Bronco Series
The Being A Bronco Series is a 7-part series that helps to transition new students to the SCU community. The information you gain from this series will help you to positively navigate your time at SCU.
- The Being A Bronco Series is facilitated by staff and students from the Office of Student Life and the Cowell Center.
- The series begins in August 2020 and concludes in February 2021.
- All first year students and new transfer students are required to successfully complete each unit of the series.
- Details about what you need to access and complete each unit of the series will be emailed to you within 2 weeks of each unit beginning.