I. Emre Araci has received his B.S. and M.S. degrees from Electrical Engineering Department, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey. He received his Ph.D. from College of Optical Sciences, University of Arizona in 2010. He then joined Prof. Stephen Quake's group in the Bioengineering Department at Stanford University as a postdoctoral associate and as the director of the Stanford Microfluidics Foundry (SMF). His primary research goals are directed toward the development and application of implantable and miniaturized micro/optofluidic technologies for biology and medicine. His recent work on implantable and miniaturized devices for telemedicine was recently published in Nature Medicine and was featured in various media platforms including Fortune magazine and ABC7. He also designed and fabricated world's smallest electromechanical valves for mVLSI, which was published in Lab on a Chip in 2012. As the director of SMF, he mentored several technicians and researchers, consulted faculty and post-docs from various fields (i.e. computer science, biology, medicine, and crystallography).
- Pop, P.; Ismail Emre Araci; Chakrabarty, K., “Continuous-Flow Biochips: Technology, Physical Design Methods and Testing”, Design & Test, 2015.
- Artem Lyubimov, Thomas Murray, Antoine Koehl, Ismail Emre Araci, Monarin Uervirojnangkoorn, Oliver Zeldin, Aina Cohen, S. Michael Soltis, Elizabeth Baxter, Aaron Brewster, Nicholas Sauter, Axel Brunger and James Berger*, “Capture and X-ray diffraction studies of protein microcrystals in a microfluidic trap array”, Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2015.
- Ismail Emre Araci, Baolong Su, Stephen R. Quake, Yossi Mandel, “An Implantable Microfluidic Device for Self Monitoring of Intraocular Pressure”, Nature Medicine, 2014.
- Ismail Emre Araci, Philip Brisk; “Recent developments in microfluidic large scale integration”, Current Opinions in Biotechnology, 2014.
- Ismail Emre Araci, Stephen R. Quake; “Microfluidic very large scale integration (mVLSI) with integrated micromechanical valves”, Lab on a Chip, 2012.
- Jayan Thomas, P. Gangopadhyay, Ismail Emre Araci, R.A. Norwood, N. Peyghambarian; “Nanoimprinting by melt processing: An easy technique to fabricate versatile nanostructures”, Advanced Materials, 2011.
- Veysi Demir, Ismail Emre Araci, A. Kropachev, T. Skotheim, R. A. Norwood, N. Peyghambarian, “Nanoamorphous carbon as a blackbody source in plasmonic thermal emitters”, Applied Optics,2011.
- Ismail Emre Araci, R.A. Norwood, R. Himmelhuber, C.T. DeRose, J.D. Luo, A.K.-Y.Yen, N. Peyghambarian, “Alignment free fabrication of a hybrid electro-optic polymer/ion-exchange glass coplanar modulator”, Optics Express, 2010.
- Ismail Emre Araci, V. Demir, A. Kropachev, T. Skotheim, R.A. Norwood, N. Peyghambarian; “Mechanical and thermal stability of plasmonic IR emitters on flexible substrates”, Applied Physics Letters, 2010.
- Savaş Tay, A. Kropachev, Ismail Emre Araci, T. Skotheim, R.A. Norwood, N. Peyghambarian, “Plasmonic thermal IR emitters based on nanoamorphous carbon”, Applied Physics Letters, 2009.
- Ismail Emre Araci, S.B. Mendes, N. Yurt, S. Honkanen, and N. Peyghambarian; “Highly Sensitive Spectroscopic Detection of Heme-Protein Submonolayer Films by Channel Integrated Optical Waveguide”, Optics Express, 2007.
- Ismail Emre Araci, S. Vorbeck, M. Schneiders, M. Ansari, N. Peyghambarian, and F. Kueppers; “System optimization and significant reach extension using alternating dispersion compensation for 160 Gbit/s transmission links”, Optics Express, 2005.
- Ismail Emre Araci, G. Kahraman; “Performance failure analysis of EDFA cascades in optical DWDM packet-switched networks” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Tech., 2003.
- Ismail Emre Araci, Pop, Paul; Chakrabarty, Krishnendu, “Microfluidic very large-scale integration for biochips: Technology, testing and fault-tolerant design”, Test Symposium (ETS), 20th IEEE European,2015.
- Ismail Emre Araci, Michael Robles, Stephen R. Quake, “Digital and Multiplexed Protein Quantification by Microfluidic Very Large Scale Integration” IEEE, EMBS, MNM Conference, 2014.
- Ismail Emre Araci, Baolong Su, Stephen Quake, Yossi Mandel, “Extending the lifetime of implantable intraocular pressure sensor“. IEEE, EMBS, Healthcare Innovation Conference, 2014.
- Ismail Emre Araci, R. Himmelhuber, C DeRose, J.D. Luo, A.K.-Y. Jen, R. Norwood, N. Peyghambarian; “Alignment-Free Fabrication of a Hybrid Electro-Optic Polymer Modulator Platform”, 2010, IPRSN, IWA5.
- Franko Kueppers, Ismail Emre Araci, M.J. Ensari, M. Schneiders, S. Vorbeck; “System Optimization for 160 Gbit/s Long-Haul Transmission Systems”, 2005, OSA, FiO, FThJ1
- Ismail Emre Araci, M. Yurt, C. DeRose, S. Honkanen, S. Mendez, N. Peyghambarian; “Hybrid Glass and Sol-Gel Integrated Optical Waveguides for Biosensors”, 2005, OSA, FiO, FTuU2.
- Ismail Emre Araci, N. Yurt, S. Honkanen, S. Mendez, N. Peyghambarian; “Hybrid glass and sol-gel integrated optical waveguides for absorption-based biosensing”, 2005, Proc. Of SPIE, 6004:1-6.
- F. Kueppers, S. Thekkiniathu, Ismail Emre Araci; “Temperatures influences on chromatic dispersion in dispersion-compensated ultra-high-speed long-haul transmission systems”, 2004, Proc. of SPIE, 5596: 181-188.
Assistant Professor, Department of Bioengineering