Before coming to SCU, Laura was a post doctoral scholar for the John Muir Institute of the Environment at University of California, Davis where she used multi-dimensional models to examine the San Francisco Bay Delta system. She earned her masters and doctoral degrees at UC Davis and her undergraduate degree is from Loyola Marymount University. It was during her time at LMU that her desire to return to teach at a Jesuit University began. Dr. Doyle's PhD research focused on the development of a three-dimensional water quality model which was applied to the Stockton Deep Water Ship Channel section of the San Francisco Bay Delta. The purpose of the model was to investigate transportation processes that contribute to low dissolved oxygen concentrations in the channel.
Ph.D., University of California, Davis 2011
M.Eng., University of California, Davis 2007
B.S., Loyola Marymount University 2003
Current Research Interests
Dr. Doyle's research interests include using complex hydrodynamic and water quality models to investigate how to manage fragile and failing estuarine ecosystems to meet the increasing human demands but simultaneously maintain native ecology. She focuses on systems in California.
- CENG 10 Surveying
- CENG 15 Computer Applications in CENG
- CENG 41 Mechanics I: Statistics
- CENG 140 Water Resources Engineering
For a list of Civil Engineering course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Courses page.
- Donald W. Pritchard Award for Estuaries and Coasts Geophysics Paper, 2011
- Presidential Citation, Loyola Marymount University, April 2003
- Outstanding Engineering Scholar, Loyola Marymount University, April 2003
Society Membership and Service
Member, Society of Women Engineers
Member, California Water and Environmental Modeling Forum
1. Doyle, Laura, William Fleenor, Jay Lund. "Modeling insights on effects of flooded island depth and configuration on phytoplankton production for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta". Submitted to San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science Online Journal.
2. Doyle, Laura, William Fleenor, Jay Lund. 2010. "Modeling insights on effects of flooded island depth and configuration on phytoplankton production for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta." Bay Delta Science Conference, Sacramento, CA. Abstract accepted.
3. Doyle, Laura, William Fleenor, Francisco Rueda, Geoff Schladow. 2010. "Mixing, transport and oxygen dynamics of a tidally driven freshwater system of channels." Bay Delta Science Conference, Sacrament, CA. Abstract accepted.
4. Doyle, L., Durand, J., Fleenor, W. 2010. "Physical drivers of biological productivity following levee breaches on islands in the Sacramento - San Joaquin Delta. California Water and Environmental Modeling Forum, Pacific Grove, CA. Abstract accepted.
5. Doyle, l., Durand, J., Fleenor, Moyle, P. 2009. "Flooded island ecosystems: physical drivers of biological productivity following levee breaches on Delta island. State of the Estuary Conference, Oakland, CA. Abstract accepted.
6. Monismith, Steven, Hench, Jim, Fonk, Derek, Nidzieko, Nick, Fleenor, William, Doyle, Laura, Schladow, Geoff. 2008. "Thermal Variability in a Tidal River". Estuaries and Coasts. 32(1); 100 - 110.