Dr. Sharon Hsiao is Assistant Professor & David Packard endowed junior fellow in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at Santa Clara University. Prior to SCU, Dr. Hsiao was an assistant professor at Arizona State University and Columbia University, where she established several research projects and taught graduate & undergraduate level courses. Dr. Hsiao’s research focuses on educational technologies, computational modeling, visual analytics, and adaptive technology for personalized learning. Her research methodology involves AI and HCI approaches, applied data science and machine learning techniques in researching effective technology to help people learn. Dr. Hsiao actively involves in several international research communities, including Educational Data Mining (EDM), Learning Analytics & Knowledge(LAK), Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED), and European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL). She serves as the Program Chair of 14th International Conference on Educational Data Mining, Organizing Chair of the 9th of International Conference on Learning Analytics & Knowledge, and several other leadership and editing positions.
Postdoc Columbia University
PhD University of Pittsburgh
MS University of London, Royal Holloway
BA National Central University
- FWA Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award (ASU)
- IEEE TCLT Young Researcher Award
- COEN60 Introduction to Web technologies
- Data Visualization
- Adaptive Information Systems
- Human Computer Interaction
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Educational Technology
- Data-Driven Engineering, Educational Data Mining
- Programming Language Learning
- Data Analytics
- WebPGA: An Educational Technology That Supports Learning by Reviewing Paper-Based Programming Assessments. Y.V. Paredes, I.H. Hsiao. Information 12 (11), 450. (2021).
- Examining the Effect of Self-explanations in Distributed Self-assessment. C.Y. Chung, I.H. Hsiao. European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, 149-162. (2021).
- Uncovering Latent Profiles Based on How Students Review Paper-Based Assessments. Y.V. Paredes, I.H. Hsiao. European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, 326-331. (2021).
- Exploring the Effect of Augmented Reality on Verbal Communication and Code-editing in a Collaborative Programming Task. C.Y. Chung, I.H. Hsiao. 2021 International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), 395-397. (2021).
- Can Students Learn from Grading Erroneous Computer Programs? Y.V. Paredes, I.H. Hsiao. 2021 International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), 211-215. (2021).
- From Detail to Context: Modeling Distributed Practice Intensity and Timing by Multiresolution Signal Analysis. C.Y. Chung, I.H. Hsiao. the 14th International Conference on Educational Data Mining. (2021).
- Educational Data Mining and Learning Analytics for Improving Online Learning Environments. Y.V. Paredes, R.F. Siegle, I.H. Hsiao, S.D. Craig. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 64 (1), 500-504. (2020).
- Does a Distributed Practice Strategy for Multiple Choice Questions Help Novices Learn Programming? L. Zhang, B. Li, Q. Zhang, I.H. Hsiao. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (iJET) 15 (18), 234-250. (2020).
- Preschool Safety Education with Digital Media-Based Learning Application–Kinder. C.F. Sun, Y.C. Chan, S.Y. Chien, Y.L. Lin, I.H. Hsiao. International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, 520-529. (2020).
- Computational Thinking in Augmented Reality: An Investigation of Collaborative Debugging Practices. C.Y. Chung, I.H. Hsiao. 2020 6th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN), 54-61. (2020).