Dr. Hohyun Lee has joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Santa Clara University in 2009. Dr. Lee received his Ph.D. degree in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at MIT in 2009. He is interested in heat transfer mechanisms in nanoscale, and therefore engineering thermal properties of nanomaterials for the purpose of energy harvest.
Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
S.M., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
B.S., Seoul National University, 2003
Current Research Interests
Nanoscale Transport Phenomena, Nanoscale Materials Characterization & Instrumentation, Renewable/Sustainable Energy System Design, Waste Heat Recovery, Thermoelectrics, Water Purification.
MECH 123 Heat Transfer
MECH 125 Thermal System Design
MECH 160 Instrumentation
For a list of Mechanical Engineering course descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Course Descriptions page.
MECH 236 Conductive Heat Transfer
MECH 237 Convective Heat Transfer
For a list of Mechanical Engineering course descriptions, visit the Graduate Course Descriptions page.
- H. Lee, D. Vashaee, D. Z. Wang, M. S. Dresselhaus, Z. F. Ren, and G. Chen, “Effects of Nanoscale Porosity on Thermoelectric Properties of SiGe”, submitted to JAP, 2009.
- G. Zhu, H. Lee, Y. Lan, X. Wang, G. Joshi, D. Wang, J. Yang, D. Vashaee, H. Guilbert, A. Pillitteri, M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Chen, and Z. Ren, “Increased Phonon Scattering by Nanograins and Point Defects in Nanostructured Silicon with a Low Concentration of Germanium”, Physical Review Letters, 102, 196803, 2008.
- X. Wang, H.Lee, Y.C. Lan, G. H. Zhu, G. Joshi, D. Z. Wang, J. Yang, A. J. Muto, M. Y. Tang, J. Klatsky, S. Song, M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Chen, and Z. Ren, “Enhanced thermoelectric figure of merit in nanostructured n-type silicon germanium bulk alloy”, Applied Physics Letters, 93, 193121, 2008.
- G. Joshi, H. Lee, Y. Lan, X. Wang, G. Zhu, D. Wang, R. W. Giould, D. C. Cuff, M. Y. Tang, M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Chen and Z. Ren, “Enhanced Thermoelectric Figure-of-Merit in Nanostructured p-type Silicon Germanium Bulk Alloys”, Nano Letters, 8(12), 4670-4674, 2008.
- M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Chen, M. Y. Tang, R. G. Yang, H. Lee, D. Wang, Z. Ren, J-P. Fleurial, and P. Gogna, “New Directions for Low-Dimensional Thermoelectric Materials”, Advanced Material, 19, 1-12, 2007.
- H. Xie, H. Lee, W. Youn, and M. Choi, “Nanofluids Containing Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes and Their Enhanced Thermal Conductivities”, Journal of Applied Physics, 94, 4967-4971, 2003.