Nam Ling received the B.Eng. degree from the National University of Singapore and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Louisiana, Lafayette, U.S.A. He is currently the Sanfilippo Family Chair Professor (University Endowed Chair) of Santa Clara University (U.S.A) and the Chair of its Department of Computer Engineering. From 2002 to 2010, he was an Associate Dean for its School of Engineering. Currently, he is also a Chair Professor for Fuzhou University (China), a Cuiying Chair Professor for Lanzhou University (Chair), a Distinguished Professor for Xi’an University of Posts & Telecommunications (China), a Consulting Professor for the National University of Singapore, a Guest Professor for Tianjin University (China), and a Guest Professor for Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China). He has more than 200 publications (including books) in video/image coding and systolic arrays. He also has seven adopted standards contributions and has filed/granted more than 20 U.S./European/PCT patents. He is an Honorary Co-Chair for IEEE Umedia. He has also served as Technical Program CoChairs for IEEE ISCAS, APSIPA ASC, IEEE APCCAS, IEEE SiPS (twice), DCV, and IEEE VCIP. He was Technical Committee Chairs for IEEE CASCOM TC and IEEE TCMM, and has served as Guest Editors/Associate Editors for IEEE TCASI, IEEE J-STSP, Springer JSPS, Springer MSSP, and other journals. He has delivered more than 120 invited colloquia worldwide and has served as Visiting Professors/Consultants/Scientists for many institutions/companies.
Honors and Awards
- IEEE Fellow - for contributions to video coding algorithms and architectures, 2008 - present.
- IET Fellow, 2011 - present.
- Outstanding Paper Award, IEEE Umedia 2017, 2017.
- U-Media Best Paper Award, IEEE Umedia 2016, 2016.
- Best Paper Award (First Place Winner), IEEE ICCE 2003.
- Sanfilippo Family Professor (University Endowed Chair), Santa Clara University, USA, 2010 – present.
- Chair Professor, Fuzhou University, Fuzhou, China, 2017 – present.
- Distinguished Professor, Xi’an U. of Posts & Telecomm, Xi’an, China, 2015 – present.
- Cuiying Chair Professor, Lanzhou University, China, 2012 – present.
- Guest Professor, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China, 2015 - present.
- Guest Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, 2006 – present.
- Outstanding Overseas Scholar, Shanghai U. of Electric Power, Shanghai, China, 2014 – 2016.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, National Dong Hwa University, Taiwan, 2004.
- APSIPA Distinguished Lecturer, 2014 – 2015.
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (Circuits and Systems), 2007 – 2008 (second time).
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (Circuits and Systems), 2002-2003.
- University Award for Sustained Excellence in Scholarship, awarded 2007.
- President’s Recognition Award, awarded in 2005.
- University Award for Recent Achievement in Scholarship awarded 2002.
- Outstanding Achievement Award in Teaching, Research, and Service, 1992.
- 2009 Award for Teaching Excellence, awarded in 2010.
- 1999 Researcher of the Year, awarded in 2000.
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Certificate of Appreciation, for serving as General Chair of ICME 2013, awarded 2014.
- Appreciation for Outstanding Contribution on Leading MPEG-4 Activity, Center for Signal Processing, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, awarded 1998.
- IEEE Computer Society Certificate of Appreciation, for serving as the General Chair of the 1995 Hot Chips Symposium, awarded 1997.
Arthur Vining Davis Junior Faculty Fellowship, Santa Clara U., 1991 - 1992.
U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Initiation Award, 1990 – 1993.
Research Interests (Current)
- Video Coding and Compression
- Image Coding and Compression
- Machine Learning for Video Coding
- Methods for HEVC/H.265 and 3D-HEVC Video Coding
- Methods for Improvements beyond HEVC
- Sparse Coding for Image and Video
- Depth Coding in 3D Video
- Motion Estimation
- Rate Control
- Intra Prediction
- Perceptual Video Coding
- Encoder/Decoder Architecture
COEN 338/ELEN 641 Image and Video Compression (4 units) (Winter 2018)
- 19th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT), Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 18 – 20, 2016.
- 2016 International Workshop on Signal Processing with Applications in Scene Investigation, Xi'an, China, November 21-22, 2016.
- 2014 Workshop on Image and Video Processing for Applications in Electronic Information Scene Investigation, Xi’an, China, October 20 – 22, 2014.
- 7th International Conference on Ubi-Media Computing (Umedia), Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, July 12 – 14, 2014.
- 2nd International Workshop on Video Coding and Video Processing (VCVP), Shenzhen, China, January 21 - 23, 2014.
- IET International Conference on Ubi-media Computing and IET International Conference on Frontier Computing (IET U-media and IET FC), Xining, China, August 16 - 18, 2012.
- 2012 7th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), Singapore, July 18 – 20, 2012.
- 3rd IEEE International Conference on Adaptive Science and Technology (ICAST), Abuja, Nigeria, November 24 - 26, 2011.
- 2009 Joint Conferences on Pervasive Computing (JCPC), Tamsui, Taiwan, December 3 – 5, 2009.
- 2008 IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems (APCCAS), Macao, China, November 30 – December 3, 2008.
- 1st International Workshop on Video Coding and Video Processing (VCVP), Shenzhen, China, November 26 – 28, 2008.