Nam Ling, Ph.D.
DR. NAM LING'S LAB & RESEARCH GROUP
Nam Ling received the B.Eng. degree from the National University of Singapore and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Louisiana, Lafayette, U.S.A. He is currently the Wilmot J. Nicholson Family Chair Professor (Endowed Chair) of Santa Clara University (U.S.A) and the Chair of its Department of Computer Science & Engineering (since 2010). From 2010 to 2020, he was the Sanfilippo Family Chair Professor (University Endowed Chair) of Santa Clara University. From 2002 to 2010, he was an Associate Dean for its School of Engineering. He is/was also a Cuiying Chair Professor for Lanzhou University, a Guest Professor for Tianjin University, a Chair Professor and Minjiang Scholar for Fuzhou University, a Distinguished Professor for Xi’an University of Posts & Telecommunications, a Guest Professor for Shanghai Jiao Tong University, a Guest Professor for Zhongyuan University of Technology (China), and a Consulting Professor for the National University of Singapore. He has more than 220 publications (including books) in video/image coding and systolic arrays. He also has seven adopted standards contributions and has been granted more than 17 U.S. patents. He is an IEEE Fellow due to his contributions to video coding algorithms and architectures. He is also an IET Fellow. He was named IEEE Distinguished Lecturer twice and was also an APSIPA Distinguished Lecturer. He received the IEEE ICCE Best Paper Award (First Place) and the IEEE Umedia Best/Excellent Paper Awards (three times). He received six awards from Santa Clara University, four at the University level (Outstanding Achievement, Recent Achievement in Scholarship, President’s Recognition, and Sustained Excellence in Scholarship) and two at the School/College level (Researcher of the Year and Teaching Excellence). He has served as Keynote Speaker for IEEE APCCAS, VCVP (twice), JCPC, IEEE ICAST, IEEE ICIEA, IET FC & U-Media, IEEE U-Media, Workshop at XUPT (twice), ICCIT, as well as a Distinguished Speaker for IEEE ICIEA. He is/was General Chair/Co‑Chair for IEEE Hot Chips, VCVP (twice), IEEE ICME, IEEE U-Media (five times), and IEEE SiPS. He was an Honorary Co-Chair for IEEE Umedia. He has also served as Technical Program Co‑Chair for IEEE ISCAS, APSIPA ASC, IEEE APCCAS, IEEE SiPS (twice), DCV, and IEEE VCIP. He was Technical Committee Chair for IEEE CASCOM TC and IEEE TCMM, and has served as Guest Editor/Associate Editor for IEEE TCAS‑I, IEEE J-STSP, Springer JSPS, Springer MSSP, and other journals. He has delivered more than 120 invited colloquia worldwide and has served as Visiting Professor/Consultant/Scientist for many institutions/companies.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- IEEE Fellow - for contributions to video coding algorithms and architectures, 2008 - present.
- IET Fellow 2011 - present.
Best Paper Awards
- Excellent Paper Award, Umedia 2019, Bali, Indonesia, Aug 2019.
- Outstanding Paper Award, IEEE Umedia 2017, Pattaya, Thailand, Aug 2017.
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Umedia 2016, Moscow, Russia, Aug 2016.
- Best Paper Award (First Place Winner), 2003 IEEE ICCE, Los Angeles, California, USA, June 2003.
Chair & Distinguished Professorships
- Wilmot J. Nicholson Family Professor (Endowed Chair), Santa Clara University, 2020 – present.
- Sanfilippo Family Professor (University Endowed Chair), Santa Clara University, 2010-2020.
- Chair Professor, Fuzhou University, Fuzhou, China, 2017 – present.
- Distinguished Professor, Xi’an University of Posts and Telecommunications, Xi’an, China, 2015 - present.
- Minjiang Scholar (Chair Professor Category, Fuzhou University), Fujian Province, China, 2018 – present.
- Guest Professor, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China, 2015 - present.
- Cuiying Chair Professor, Lanzhou University, China, 2012 – 2018.
- Guest Professor, Zhongyuan University of Technology, Zhengzhou, China, 2018 - present.
- Guest Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, 2006 – 2016.
- Outstanding Overseas Scholar, Shanghai University of Electric Power, Shanghai, China, 2014 – 2016.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, National Dong Hwa University, Taiwan, March 24-30, 2004.
- Distinguished Lecturer, Hong De Lecture Hall, Zhongyuan University of Technology, Zhengzhou, China, 2018.
- APSIPA Distinguished Lecturer, 2014 – 2015.
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (Circuits and Systems), 2007 – 2008 (second time).
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (Circuits and Systems), 2002-2003.
Santa Clara University Awards – University Level
- University Award for Sustained Excellence in Scholarship, awarded 2007.
- President’s Recognition Award, Santa Clara University, awarded 2005.
- University Award for Recent Achievement in Scholarship, Santa Clara University, awarded 2002.
- Outstanding Achievement Award in Teaching, Research, and Service, awarded 1992.
Santa Clara University Awards – School of Engineering Level
- 2009 Award for Teaching Excellence, awarded 2010.
- 1999 Researcher of the Year, awarded 2000.
Certificates of Appreciation
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Certificate of Appreciation, for serving as General Chair of ICME 2013, awarded 2014.
- Appreciation for Outstanding Contribution on Leading MPEG-4 Activity, Center for Signal Processing, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, awarded 1998.
- IEEE Computer Society Certificate of Appreciation, for serving as the General Chair of the 1995 Hot Chips Symposium, awarded 1997.
- Arthur Vining Davis Junior Faculty Fellowship, Santa Clara University, 1991 – 1992.
RESEARCH INTERESTS (CURRENT)
- Video Coding and Compression
- Deep Learning Approaches for Video/Image Coding
- Deep Learning Approaches for Video/Image Processing
- Video/Image Coding for Machines
- Deep Neural Network (DNN) Approaches to Video Coding
- Video Coding for Machines
- DNN for Moving Object Detection and Other Computer Vision Methods
- Deep Schemes for Image Coding and Compressive Sensing
- Methods for VVC, HEVC/H.265, and 3D-HEVC
- Intra Prediction for VVC Coding
- Deep Learned Auto-Encoder for Image Compression
- Sparse Coding for Screen Content Video
COEN 338/ELEN 641 Image and Video Compression (4 units) (Every Winter Quarter)
Description: Image and video compression. Entropy coding. Prediction. Quantization. Transform coding and 2-D discrete cosine transform. Color compression. Motion estimation and compensation. Digital video. Image coding standards such as JPEG and JPEG family. Video coding standards such as the MPEG series and the H.26x series. H.264/MPEG-4 AVC coding. HEVC/H.265/MPEG-H Part 2 coding. VVC. Rate-distortion theory and optimization. Visual quality and coding efficiency. Brief intro to 3D video coding and 3D-HEVC. Deep learning approaches. Applications. Also listed as ELEN 641. Prerequisites: AMTH 108, AMTH 245, and basic knowledge of algorithms. (4 units)
- 19th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT), Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 18 – 20, 2016.
- 2016 International Workshop on Signal Processing with Applications in Scene Investigation, Xi'an, China, November 21-22, 2016.
- 2014 Workshop on Image and Video Processing for Applications in Electronic Information Scene Investigation, Xi’an, China, October 20 – 22, 2014.
- 7th International Conference on Ubi-Media Computing (Umedia), Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, July 12 – 14, 2014.
- 2nd International Workshop on Video Coding and Video Processing (VCVP), Shenzhen, China, January 21 - 23, 2014.
- IET International Conference on Ubi-media Computing and IET International Conference on Frontier Computing (IET U-media and IET FC), Xining, China, August 16 - 18, 2012.
- 2012 7th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), Singapore, July 18 – 20, 2012.
- 3rd IEEE International Conference on Adaptive Science and Technology (ICAST), Abuja, Nigeria, November 24 - 26, 2011.
- 2009 Joint Conferences on Pervasive Computing (JCPC), Tamsui, Taiwan, December 3 – 5, 2009.
- 2008 IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems (APCCAS), Macao, China, November 30 – December 3, 2008.
- 1st International Workshop on Video Coding and Video Processing (VCVP), Shenzhen, China, November 26 – 28, 2008.