Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Engineering at Santa Clara University, received her B.S. and M.S. degrees from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications in 2004 and 2007 respectively, and her Ph.D. degree from the University of Rhode Island in 2012 under the supervision of Dr. Yan (Lindsay) Sun. She is the recipient of the 2019 Researcher of the Year Award at School of Engineering, Santa Clara University, and the 2013 University of Rhode Island Graduate School Excellence in Doctoral Research Award. Her research interests include trustworthy computing and cyber security of emerging applications, such as Internet-of-things, blockchain, and online social media. She has published over 60 papers in prestigious journals and peer-reviewed conferences. Her papers have been selected as the best paper at the IEEE International Conference on Social Computing 2010 (acceptance rate = 13%) and the 9th International Conference on Ubi-Media Computing (UMEDIA 2016).
She is actively contributing to professional societies including IEEE and APSIPA. She is a senior member of IEEE, and currently serving as the Chair of IEEE Computer Society STC Executive Committee Board, the Chair of the IEEE Computer Society Technical Meeting Request Committee, and IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Visitor(2021~2022). She has also served as an APSIPA Distinguish Lecturer, the secretary of the APSIPA U.S. Chapter, and a member of the Multimedia Security and Forensics (MSF) TC for Asia-Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association (APSIPA).
With expertise in trustworthy computing and cybersecurity, my primary research interests include:
- Online social network security and privacy
- Trustworthy Internet-of-Things
- Trust management in cyber-physical systems
I have recently delievered invited talks at a series of events and venues, including a DVP talk co-hosted by the IEEE Buffalo Section and the IEEE Computer Society Santa Clara Valley Chapter, University of Maine AI webinar, the IEEE Computer Society Distinguish Visitor Webinar, IEEE Computer Society Hawaii Chapter, IEEE Computer Society Singapore Chapter, Singapore Nanyang Technology University, and Monash University. These talks mainly focus on "Facilitating Security and Trust among Multiple Parties through Blockchain Techniques" and "Human Factors in Trust-based Attacks/Defenses in Online Social Networks."
The APSIPA U.S. Local Chapter will organize a panel discussion on "Dis/Misinformation Analysis and Countermeasures - A Computational Viewpoint" on Mar. 7, 7-8 am Pacific Time. Please check more details at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/apsipa-panel-discussion-dismisinformation-analysis-viewpoint-liu/?published=t.
I recently served as a panelist on "Web3 – Reality or Vaporware?” hosted by ACG Silicon Valley on Feb. 16, 2022. The video is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMqZFeTUBew
I have been selected to serve as IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Visitor (2022-2023)
We recently ran a panel discussion on "Social Media Disinformation and its Impact on Public Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic" at the IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC), Oct. 2021. Please check out the video recording at https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Dr. Behnam Dezfouli and I are organizing a special issue "Edge and Fog Computing for Internet of Things Systems" on Sensors Journal (IF: 3.275) (submission link). Submission deadline is July 30, 2021. Please consider to submit a paper.
I have been selected to serve as APSIPA Distinguished Lecturers (2021-2022)
I have been elevated to IEEE Senior Member in December 2020.
On December 10th- 12th, 2018, we were The 4th International Symposium on Security and Privacy in Social Networks and Big Data at SCU.
SCU School of Engineering News on our cloud security work.
- COEN 12 – Data Structure (Fall 2016, Winter 2017, Fall 2017, Winter 2018, Spring 2018, Winter 2019, Spring 2019)
- COEN 279/AMTH 377 – Design and Analysis of Algorithms (Winter 2016)
- COEN 146 Computer Network (Spring 2017)
- COEN 296 Secure and Trustworthy Online Social Media (Spring 2017)
- COEN 150 Computer and Network Security (Fall 2019)
- IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Visitor, 2022~2024
- APSIPA Distinguish Lecturer, 2021~2022
- The Researcher of the Year at School of Engineering, Santa Clara University 04/2019
- The Packard Junior Faculty Fellowship at Santa Clara University 08/2016
- The best paper award at The 9th International Conference on Ubi-Media Computing (UMEDIA 2016)
- The 2013 University of Rhode Island Graduate School Excellence in Doctoral Research Award.
- The best paper award at the IEEE International Conference on Social Computing 2010 (acceptance rate = 13%).