Michael's research is in the area of computational solid mechanics with a focus on finite elasticity, metamaterials, and the mechanics of thin films and membranes. Recent projects include modeling wrinkling in anisotropic sheets and rupture in biomembranes as well as the design and analysis of auxetic tesselations with reduced stress concentration.
Michael has a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Johns Hopkins University as well as M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from U.C. Berkeley. Prior to joining SCU, Michael was a Mechanical Specialist at Northrop Grumman Marine Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) working on the structural dynamics of missile launching systems and developing analysis software. This was followed by a Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Harvard Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, which included research into auxetic structures for gas turbine applications for Rolls-Royce Energy (now a part of Siemens).
For more details, please visit our Group Page!
- MECH 141: Mechanical Vibrations
- MECH 151/251: Finite Element Theory & Applications
- MECH 177/377: Continuum Mechanics
- MECH/AMTH 200 & 202: Advanced Engineering Mathematics
- MECH 294: Topics in Computational Mechanics
- MECH 334: Elasticity Theory
- A. Gürbüz, O.S. Pak, M. Taylor, M.V. Sivaselvan, and F. Sachs, Effects of membrane viscoelasticity on the red blood cell dynamics in a micro capillary, Biophys. J., 122, 1-12 (2023).
- M. Barillas Velásquez, L. Francesconi, and M. Taylor, Design of low-porosity auxetic tessellations with reduced mechanical stress concentrations, Extreme Mech. Lett., 48, 101401 (2021).
- Y. Chen, N. Lordi, M. Taylor, and O.S. Pak, A note on helical locomotion in a porous medium, Phys. Rev. E., 102, 043111 (2020).
- M. Taylor and M. Shirani, Simulation of wrinkling in incompressible anisotropic thin sheets with wavy fibers, Int. J. Non-Lin. Mech., 127, 103610 (2020).
- L. Francesconi, A. Baldi, G. Dominguez, and M. Taylor, An Investigation of the enhanced fatigue performance of low-porosity auxetic metamaterials, Exp. Mech., 60(1), 93-107 (2020).
- M. Taylor, M. Shirani, Y. Dabiri, J.M. Guccione, and D.J. Steigmann, Finite elastic wrinkling deformations of incompressible fiber-reinforced plates, Int. J. Eng. Sci., 144, 103138 (2019).
- A. Gupta, I. Gözen, and M. Taylor, A cellular automaton for modeling non-trivial biomembrane ruptures, Soft Matter, 15, 4178-4186 (2019).
- L. Francesconi, A. Baldi, X. Liang, F. Aymerich, and M. Taylor, Variable Poisson’s ratio materials for globally stable static and dynamic compression resistance, Extreme Mech. Lett., 26, 1-7 (2019).
- L. Francesconi, M. Taylor, K. Bertoldi, and A. Baldi, Static and Modal Analysis of Low Porosity Thin Metallic Auxetic Structures Using Speckle Interferometry and Digital Image Correlation, Exp. Mech., 58(2), 283-300 (2018).