Rocio L. Segura is an assistant professor in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Sustainable Engineering at Santa Clara University. Prior to that, she obtained the Mitacs Industrial Postdoc Fellowship, to do her postdoc with Hydro-Quebec as an industrial partner.
Dr. Segura received her bachelor’s in civil engineering from Del Comahue National University in Argentina. After graduation, she worked as a structural engineer in a dam consulting company, and in 2015, she started her Ph.D. at Sherbrooke University, Quebec, Canada. Her Ph.D. research focused on the generation of metamodel-based fragility functions to estimate the performance of gravity dams under seismic loading. Dr. Segura is a registered professional in Argentina and Quebec and has several years of professional experience as a structural engineer in the public and private sectors. Dr. Segura has a strong interest in structural and earthquake engineering, risk assessment, applied probability, and machine learning applied to civil engineering.
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Sherbrooke University, Quebec, Canada, June 2019
B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Del Comahue National University, Neuquen, Argentina, August 2013
- CENG 41: Statics
- CENG 135/135L: Reinforced concrete design
- CENG 236: Advanced reinforced concrete
- CENG 43L: Strength of Materials Lab
- CENG 220: Structural Dynamics
Honors and Awards
- 2023 Severo Ochoa Mobility Programme grant. Short-term research visit to collaborate with CIMNE International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering’s research group on Machine Learning in Civil Engineering in Madrid, Spain.
- 2019-2022 MITACS - Accelerate industrial postdoc scholarship. 2019 Léonard de Vinci medal and Scholarship - La fondation, Sherbrooke University
- 2023 Segura, R., Miquel, B. and Paultre, P., Parameterized seismic fragility functions for gravity dams: An approach including the effect of updated model parameter knowledge, Canadian and Pacific conference of earthquake engineering. Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 2023 de Almeida Torres Filho, R., Segura, R. and Paultre, P., Polynomial response surface-based transformation function for the performance improvement of low-fidelity models for gravity dams, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics (submitted).
- 2022 Segura, R., Fréchette, V., Miquel, B. and Paultre, P., Dual layer metamodel-based safety assessment for rock wedge stability of a free-crested weir, Engineering Structures.
- 2021 Segura, R., Padgett, J. E. and Paultre, P., Expected seismic performance of gravity dams using machine learning techniques, Bulletin of the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering.
- 2021 Segura, R., Miquel, B., Padgett, J. E. and Paultre, P., Accounting for uncertainties in safety assessment of concrete gravity dams: a probabilistic approach with sample optimization, Water journal.
- 2020 Segura, R., Padgett, J. E. and Paultre, P., Meta-model based seismic fragility analysis of concrete gravity dams, Journal of structural engineering: Special Collection on Data Analytics in Structural Engineering.
- 2020 Segura, R., Padgett, J. E. and Paultre, P., Fragility surfaces for efficient seismic assessment of gravity dams via surrogate modeling, 17th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering.
- 2019 Segura, R., Bernier, C., Durand, C. and Paultre, P., Modeling and characterizing a concrete gravity dam for fragility analysis, Infrastructures, Special Issue: Advances in Dam Engineering.
- 2019 Segura, R., Padgett, J. E. and Paultre, P., Polynomial Response Surface-Based Seismic Fragility Assessment of Concrete Gravity Dams, 12th Canadian conference on earthquake engineering.
- 2019 Segura, R., Bernier, C., Monteiro, R. and Paultre, P., On the seismic fragility assessment of concrete gravity dams in eastern Canada, Earthquake Spectra.
- 2018 Segura, R., Monteiro, R. and Paultre, P., Improved seismic fragility assessment of concrete gravity dams in eastern Canada, CDA 2018 Annual Conference.