Dr. Terry E. Shoup, is Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Santa Clara University. He has been with SCU since 1989 and served as the Dean of Engineering for 13 years. He also served as Interim Dean of Education, Counseling Psychology and Pastoral Ministries. He currently serves as Interim Vice Provost for Enrollment Management for the University. Recently, he completed a term as the Elected President of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Dr. Shoup is the author or co-author of over 100 technical publications in the field of machine design. His recent R&D activities have focused on the use of spreadsheet modules to augment the design process in the analysis and synthesis of machine elements. This work has formed the basis for the recently released 8th Edition of the book “Design of Machine Elements” with M. F. Spotts and L. E. Hornberger (Prentice Hall 2004).
Dr. Shoup is a graduate of Ohio State University. He has served on the faculties of Rutgers University, the University of Houston, Texas A&M University, and Florida Atlantic University. He is a Fellow in the ASME.
M.S., Pastoral Ministries, Santa Clara University, 2002
Ph.D., Ohio State University, 1969
M.S.M.E., Ohio State University, 1967
B.M.E., Ohio State University, 1966
- Rodney D. Chipp Memorial Award of the Society of Women Engineers , 2002.
- Outstanding Alumnus Award, Ohio State University, Dept. of Mech. Engineering, 1998.
- Medal of Merit in Mechanics from the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, 1991.
- Administrator of the Year 1987 Florida Atlantic University.
- Distinguished Service Award 1988 ASME Council on Education.
- Administrator of the Year 1984 Florida Atlantic University.
- Western Electric Award 1984 Southeastern Section of the ASEE.
- Eminent Engineer, Texas A&M Chapter of Tau Beta Pi, Spring 1983.
- Gustus Larson Award 1981 American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Centennial Medal of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers August 1980.
- W. T. Kittinger Teaching Excellence Award 1976 77 University of Houston.
- Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Award of the ASME 1974.
For a list of Undergraduate course descriptions, visit the Course Descriptions page.
For a list of Graduate course descriptions, visit the Course Descriptions page.
- "Using Spreadsheet Modules to Augment the Design of Spur Gear Teeth," Proceedings of the Tenth World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Oulu, Finland, June 20-24, 1999, pp. 1770-1775.
- "Automated Determination of Spur Gear Form Factors," by T. M. Overman and T. E. Shoup, Proceedings of the 1999 ASME Computers in Engineering Conference, September 12-15, 1999, Las Vegas, NV., DETC99/CIE-9069.
- "Using the Palm Computer to Augment the Design of Machine Elements," by T. E. Shoup, Proceedings of the 2000 ASME Computers in Engineering Conference, September 10-13, 2000, Baltimore, Maryland, DETC2000/CIE-14596.
- "Using Spreadsheet Modules to Augment the Design of Worm Gear Geometry," by T. E. Shoup, Proceedings of the 2003 ASME Computers in Engineering Conference, September 2-6, 2003, Chicago, IL, DETC2003/CIE-48203.
- Design of Machine Elements, 8th Edition, by M. F. Spotts, T. E. Shoup, and L. E. Hornberger, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2004.