Declaring an Individual Studies Major in Business
Steps for Declaring an Individual Studies Major in the School of Business
- Check the latest requirements to make sure you qualify for the Individual Studies major. The key requirements are:
You are enrolled in the Leavey School of Business.
You have attended SCU for at least one year.
You have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of application.
- Review the Individual Studies Major requirements and Proposal Form carefully to make sure you understand what is expected of you. Think carefully about what you want to do and why an IS major is the right way to do it.
- Identify an IS faculty advisor and discuss your idea with her or him. The IS faculty advisor should typically be a tenured or tenure-track faculty member in the School of Business. Faculty members are not compensated for advising IS majors, so make a convincing case that you are a self-starter and independent learner. The more well thought-out your plans, the more likely the faculty member will say "yes."
- Once you have an IS faculty advisor, develop a proposal and contract with your advisor's input. Download and complete the Individual Studies Business Major cover sheet and Individual Studies Business Proposal Form. The proposal includes a description and justification of your IS major, learning objectives, the list of courses you plan to take, and an academic plan for the rest of your career at SCU. You may also want to consult with other faculty members in other fields of interest.
- Once you and your IS faculty advisor have agreed on a proposal, it should be submitted to and reviewed by the Faculty Director of Undergraduate Business Programs. The Faculty Director may make suggestions for changes or revisions.
- After a final version of your proposal has been approved and signed by you, your IS faculty advisor, and the Faculty Director of Undergraduate Business Programs, the Faculty Director submits a copy (including all supporting documents) to the Undergraduate Business Programs Office (Connie Rice) and to the Office of the Registrar (Laura Moreno).
- After final approval of your proposal, you must also submit the completed and approved Program Petition form to the Drahmann Advising Center, declaring the IS as your major. Your IS faculty advisor will be listed as your official academic advisor until the time you graduate.
- Eventually you will be required to complete a Pre-Graduation Evaluation and Petition for Graduation form. You will receive notification and instructions regarding the graduation petition process from the Undergraduate Business Programs Office prior to the petition due date.
Forms to download