Department ofPolitical Science


Do you have any questions or concerns about political science? Our faculty and staff are well informed on topics such as academic advising, course schedules, major/minor requirements, and graduation petitions.

If you would like to meet with a faculty advisor, please email them for an appointment. If you would like to see one of our peer advisors, please email our department administrative assistant, Casey Robertson.

Advising Office Location: Vari Hall 230.

Below are some frequently asked questions.

Advising Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where is the Political Science Department Office located?

The Political Science Department Office is located on the second floor of the Vari Hall in room 230.

How do I declare a Political Science major or minor?

To declare Political Science as your major, you must fill out an "add/change major" form, which you can pick up in the office or in the Registrar's Office.

How does the Political Science Department communicate important messages and information to declared majors?

The Political Science Department stays in close contact with declared majors via their SCU email account. Please check your SCU email account regularly to stay informed of important announcements, opportunities, and deadlines.

What classes do I need to graduate?

Please visit the Majors & Minors page for the respective course information to fulfill graduation requirements.

How do I locate contact information for a Political Science Department professor?

Please visit the Faculty & Staff page for email and phone contact information. If you are looking for office hours, they are posted on the corkboard outside of the Political Science Department.

Where do I get forms for changing my major, petitioning to graduate, etc.?

Forms are kept in the Political Science Department Office. They can also be picked up in the Registrar's Office located in the Schott Admissions & Enrollment Building.

How can I get a copy of my requirements checklist/degree audit?

Log-in to eCampus to view your most current degree audit.

How do I go about changing my advisor?

Visit the Political Science Department Office to complete the necessary paperwork to have your advisor officially changed.

How do I join the Political Science Honor Society?

Please go to the Political Science Honors Program page to learn about membership criteria and the process for obtaining membership.

How do I petition to graduate?

Pick up a Petition to Graduate form from the Political Science Department Office. Upon completion, office staff will prepare a pre-graduation evaluation, have it signed by the Department Chair, and notify you to pick it up and take it to the Registrar's Office.

Graduation Petitions are due to the Political Science Department at least 2-3 weeks prior to the Registrar's deadline to allow ample time for review. More information and deadline information.

What are the prerequisites for upper division Political Science courses?

Upper division Political Science courses vary in their prerequisites, but typically an upper division Class within a particular subfield will require the lower division class of that subfield to be taken beforehand. Please see the course descriptions page and/or CourseAvail for more information regarding prerequisites.

Do any Political Science courses fulfill Core Curriculum requirements?

Yes, there are a number of Political Science courses that fulfill the Core curriculum and Pathway requirements. Please see the course descriptions page and/or CourseAvail for more information.

Does the Political Science Department offer internship assistance for majors?

Not only does the Political Science Department encourage internships for our majors, but we also have an Internship Coordinator. For information regarding internships, email Matthew Harrigan.

If an instructor tells me to pick something up in "student pick-up" where do I find it?

Visit the Political Science Department Office and look for your item in the student pick-up mailbox.

How can the peer advisors assist students?  

The peer advisors are student administrative assistants who assist the department students and faculty. Peer advisors can meet with students to review their transcript, help students graduate on their desired timeline and provide advice on what classes/professors to take. 

Many of the peer advisors have participated in programs such as government/political internships, Washington Semester Programthe Panetta Institute, the Jean Donovan FellowshipGlobal Fellows, etc. Peer advisors are also members of the Political Science Honors ProgramPi Sigma Alpha (the Political Science honors fraternity), as well as on-campus student government and political clubs. Peer advisors can discuss their experiences on and off-campus that have contributed to their Political Science education. If you'd like to schedule an appointment with one of our peer advisors, please contact our office. 

Questions? Please contact our department administrative assistant, Casey Robertson at

Political Science Department
Vari Hall 230
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053
(408) 554-4508