Dr. Jes Kuczenski joined the engineering faculty at Santa Clara University in 2014. Dr. Kuczenski earned her M.S. and Ph.D. in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering from the University of Notre Dame. Her research interests are focused around the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, specifically around how students learn in engineering and how we as engineering instructors can improve student retention and learning both within engineering and beyond to include engineering’s impact on society and the need to work with customers in engineering design.
Dr. Kuczenski serves as the Chair of the Department of General Engineering, overseeing the major and minor programs including our B.S. Engineering degree and two minors, the Technical Innovation, Design Thinking, and Entrepreneurial Mindset minor and a minor in General Engineering geared towards those outside the School of Engineering. Dr. Kuczenski also serves as the Director of the Grand Challenge Scholars Program and as Faculty Advisor to the Theta Tau professional engineering co-ed fraternity. For more information on Dr. Kuczenski, please visit her LinkedIn profile.
- ENGR 1: Introduction to Engineering
- ENGR 1L: Introduction to Engineering Lab
- ENGR 2: Introduction to Engineering Design and Prototyping
- ENGR 35: Career Launch
- ENGR 110: Community-Based Engineering Design
- LEAD 21: Exploring Engineering Vocations
- ENGR 193: Introduction to Senior Project
- ENGR 194-196: Senior Design Projects 1, 2, & 3
Promoted to senior lecturer, 2023
- Presidents Special Recognition Award, 2018
- Sustainability Champion Award, 2018
- Design in Engineering Education Division, 2016
- Certificate of Achievement - Best use of an EFolio by a Department, Century College, 2011
- Outstanding Graduate Student Teacher Award, Kaneb Center, University of Notre Dame, 2007
- Striving for Excellence in Teaching Certificate, Kaneb Center, University of Notre Dame, 2007
- J. Kuczenski, L. Doyle, “Work-In-Progress: Diversity and Inclusion Responses from an Introduction to Engineering Lecture and Lab”, in ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Long Beach, CA, 2021. Accepted for publication, 2021.
- J. Kuczenski, “Design for Community: Perspectives from Professors, Students and Community Partners”, in ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Tampa, FL, 2019. https://peer.asee.org/32600
- J. Kuczenski and T. Serviss, “Work In Progress: First-Year Student Signature Project - Design an Infographic on "What is Technical Communication?", in ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Columbus, Ohio, 2017. https://peer.asee.org/29159
- J. Kuczenski, E. Araj. “A Comparison of Paper vs. Electronic (Portfolio) Notebooks for Engineering Design Projects,” in ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, New Orleans, LA, 2016. https://peer.asee.org/26287
- J. Kuczenski, “Student Ethics in Engineering: A Comparison of Ethics Survey Results from Undergraduate Engineering Students at Three Different Engineering Programs and Institutions,” in ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Atlanta, GA, 2013. https://peer.asee.org/22482
- J. Enszer, J. Kuczenski, K. Meyers, J. Brockman, and M. McCready. “Electronic Portfolios in Academic Advising, Self-Guided Learning, and Self-Assessment.” Proceedings from the ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Vancouver, Canada, 2011. https://peer.asee.org/17830