Core Requirement: Experiential Learning for Social Justice
The Experiential Learning for Social Justice (ELSJ) component of Santa Clara’s Core Curriculum cultivates social justice, civic life, perspective, and civic engagement.
- ELSJ involves community-based learning with a social justice emphasis.
- ELSJ courses integrate classroom assignments and activities with learning through the community contact.
- Community-based learning experiences typically involve 16 contact hours over one quarter.
- Immersion trips involve at least 24 contact hours, normally over a five-day period (or longer).
- Other forms of community engagement typically involve 16 contact hours over 2 to 10 weeks (or longer).
Completing the Requirement
- This requirement can be satisfied in two ways: with one of the approved ELSJ courses or with an ELSJ Milestone.
- For a list of all ELSJ courses available for student enrollment during a particular quarter, see Course Availability (http://www.scu.edu/courseavail/). Using the Advanced Search feature, select "Experiential Learning for Social Justice" from the "Ugrad Core" drop-down menu.
- For a list of all ELSJ courses, see the Undergraduate Core Curriculum Guide (http://www.scu.edu/core). This guide is updated on-line frequently.
- For details on the ELSJ Milestone, see the Student ELSJ Resources page on the ELSJ website (https://www.scu.edu/provost/core/elsj/student-elsj-resources/).
Special Notes for Advisors and Students
- ELSJ is part of the Integrations component of the Undergraduate Core Curriculum. Integrations are usually elements within existing courses for the Core or major, not additional required courses.
- As an Integration component, ELSJ courses may also satisfy other Core requirements.
- The ELSJ requirement can be satisfied any quarter/any year.
- The ELSJ requirement must be completed while enrolled at SCU. (Transfer students cannot transfer in units that fulfill ELSJ or any other Integrations requirement.)
- If you have additional questions, please review the ELSJ website (https://www.scu.edu/provost/core/elsj/).