Student Health Insurance
UPDATE ON FALL 2016 WAIVER
Click Here to complete the waiver or insurance enrollment form, review the school sponsored United Healthcare PPO insurance benefits, as well as other important Gallagher Student Health information.
- By July 27, 2016 – Health insurance waiver must have been completed to avoid being charged $2,512.00 to student account for the annual health insurance. CHARGES HAVE BEEN POSTED
- After July 27, 2016 – Online Health Insurance Waiver form must be completed by August 21, 2016 in order to have the health insurance charge reversed from the student account within 3-5 business days with no late fee.
- After August 21, 2016 – Students will be assessed a $100 late payment fee on their student account. This late payment fee cannot be contested and must be paid.
- By September 23, 2016 – The Online Health Insurance Waiver must be completed in order to have the health insurance charge reversed within 3-5 business days. All late payment fees will remain on the student account and must be paid.
- After September 23, 2016 – The health insurance charge will remain on the student account until paid. THIS CHARGE WILL NOT BE REVERSED and must be paid along with all late payment fees.
- By July 27, 2016 - Health Insurance Waiver must be completed to avoid being charged for the annual health insurance. CHARGES HAVE BEEN POSTED
- After July 27, 2016 - Online Health Insurance Waiver Form must be completed by the waiver deadline date of August 19, 2016 in order to have the health insurance charge reversed from the student account within 3-5 business days.
- After August 19, 2016 - The health insurance charge will remain on the student account until paid. THIS CHARGE WILL NOT BE REVERSED and must be paid along with all late payment fees.
Santa Clara University requires all degree seeking students enrolled at least half -time in their school or college to have health insurance (excluding certificate and online programs). ALL F-1 visa students, regardless of number of units, are required to have insurance. This requirement helps to protect against unexpected high medical cost and provides access to quality health care.
Students may purchase the university sponsored Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan, but are not required to if they can provide proof of other insurance coverage comparable to the Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan as outlined in the benefit and waiver requirements below. Students who are covered by an Affordable Care Act compliant plan and comparable to the Student Health Insurance Plan may complete the online waiver form documenting their own health insurance. The waiver form must be completed by the established deadline date or the student will be automatically enrolled into the school sponsored plan and their student account appropriately charged. The waiver is required every academic year.
Students should review specific waiver and requirement information by selecting their appropriate section under Student Health Insurance.
The following types of insurance plans/programs are not acceptable and will not be considered:
- Insurance plans that are called Travel Insurance do not provide acceptable coverage and may not be used for insurance coverage while at SCU.
- Short Term Medical Plans that are available to purchase on a weekly or monthly basis are not acceptable coverage and may not be used at SCU.
- Socialized medicine policies, including Canadian policies are not acceptable as insurance coverage while at SCU.
- International insurance plans that are underwritten in a country outside of the United States are not acceptable as insurance coverage while at SCU.
- California Medi-Cal health plans that do not have assigned benefit coverage in Santa Clara County. Your Medi-Cal must have assigned benefits in Santa Clara County.
- Out-of-state Medicaid insurance does not cover students in California and thus is not eligible coverage to complete the Waiver.
Additionally, your health insurance plan must include the following benefits/services:
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for medical evacuation of $50,000 and repatriation of remains of $25,000. (International Students)
- Health insurance policy must provide unlimited lifetime maximum coverage. Benefits cannot have a specific maximum amount.
- Pre-existing conditions must be coveredwith no waiting period.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for inpatient and outpatient hospitalization in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide access to local doctors, specialist, hospitals and other health care providers in emergency and non-emergency situations in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for lab work, diagnostic x-rays, Emergency room treatment, ambulance services and prescription coverage in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health.
- Health insurance plan must be underwritten by a U.S. based insurance company.
Delta Dental Care HMO is now open for enrollment. The dental plan begins on 2/1/16 and terminates on 8/31/16.
ENROLLMENT DEADLINE DATE: MARCH 15, 2016
The current premiums are as follows:
|Student and Spouse||172.41|
|Student and Children||174.86|
|Student & Family||245.42|
Click Here for Delta Dental benefit information and to enroll into the plan.