Student Health Insurance
2018/2019 Waiver Information
The 2018/2019 mandatory health insurance waiver is now OPEN for RETURNING students.
The 2018/2019 mandatory health insurance waiver will open in July for New incoming students.
Click Here to access the waiver and enrollment forms.
Santa Clara University requires all degree seeking students enrolled at least half -time in their school or college to have health insurance (excluding certificate and online programs). ALL F-1 visa students, regardless of number of units, are required to have insurance. This requirement helps to protect against unexpected high medical cost and provides access to quality health care.
Students may purchase the university sponsored United Healthcare PPO- Health Insurance Plan, but are not required to if they can provide proof of other insurance coverage comparable to the United Healthcare PPO Health Insurance Plan as outlined in the benefit and waiver requirements below. Students who are covered by an Affordable Care Act compliant plan and comparable to the Student Health Insurance Plan may complete the online waiver form documenting their own health insurance. The waiver form must be completed by the established deadline date or the student will be automatically enrolled into the school sponsored plan and their student account appropriately charged. The waiver is required every academic year.
Students should review specific waiver and requirement information by selecting their appropriate section under Student Health Insurance.
The cost of the university sponsored health insurance plan is not covered in your student tuition. This charge will show up as a separate item on your student account.
Overview of the U.S. Healthcare System
The following types of insurance plans/programs are not acceptable and will not be considered:
- Insurance plans that are called Travel Insurance do not provide acceptable coverage and may not be used for insurance coverage while at SCU.
- Short Term Medical Plans that are available to purchase on a weekly or monthly basis are not acceptable coverage and may not be used at SCU.
- Socialized medicine policies, including Canadian policies are not acceptable as insurance coverage while at SCU.
- International insurance plans that are underwritten in a country outside of the United States are not acceptable as insurance coverage while at SCU.
- California Medi-Cal health plans that do not have assigned benefit coverage in Santa Clara County. Your Medi-Cal must have assigned benefits in Santa Clara County.
- Out-of-state Medicaid insurance does not cover students in California and thus is not eligible coverage to complete the Waiver.
Additionally, your health insurance plan must include the following benefits/services:
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for medical evacuation of $50,000 and repatriation of remains of $25,000. (International Students)
- Health insurance policy must provide unlimited lifetime maximum coverage. Benefits cannot have a specific maximum amount.
- Pre-existing conditions must be coveredwith no waiting period.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for inpatient and outpatient hospitalization in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide access to local doctors, specialist, hospitals and other health care providers in emergency and non-emergency situations in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for lab work, diagnostic x-rays, Emergency room treatment, ambulance services and prescription coverage in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health.
- Health insurance plan must be underwritten by a U.S. based insurance company.
Delta Dental Care HMO is now open for enrollment. The annual dental insurance plan dates are 9/1/18 - 8/31/19.
ENROLLMENT DEADLINE DATE: SEPTEMBER 28, 2018
The annual Student Only rate is $209.04. Dependent rates as well as plan description benefits are available at www.gallagherstudent.com/SCU under 'Other Insurance Products.'
To complete the enrollment form:
- Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/scu
- Click on 'Dental Enrollment Form'
- Log in. If it is the first time you are logging in to Gallagher, your user name is your Santa Clara University email address and your temporary password will be your student ID number. You will be required to change your password the first time you log in to Gallagher.
- Follow the instructions to complete the form. You will be asked to review the information provided and click 'continue' to complete the payment information page.
- Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/
- On the left toolbar, click ‘Account Home’.
- Log in (if you haven’t already).
- You will be redirected to the ‘Account Home’ page, then click on ‘Generate ID Card’ under ‘Coverage History’.
For appointments with the Insurance Coordinator:
Go to MYSCU Portal and log in; click on Cowell Center My Student Health Portal to make an appointment.
You may also call the Cowell front desk at 408-554-4501