Skip to main content


Santa Clara University requires all degree seeking students enrolled at least half-time in their school or college to have health insurance (excluding certificate and online programs).  ALL F-1 visa students, regardless of number of units, are required to have insurance.  Years of experience and demographic data have shown that students who fell ill and were unable to meet the costs of their medical needs often dropped out of the University. Requiring adequate coverage under a health insurance plan enables students to seek medical attention and treatment promptly, and complete their academic goals.

In order to make sure that you are not automatically enrolled into the school sponsored UnitedHealthcare PPO insurance plan, you must complete the on-line waiver form with your own insurance information. This is required EVERY ACADEMIC YEAR. To access the waiver form, go to click here.

Please see here for waiver deadlines.

Yes, the UnitedHealthcare plan covers U.S. students while they are home or studying abroad. Within the U.S. students will get the best benefit if they go to a UnitedHealthcare PPO provider. While studying or traveling abroad, students will have to pay out of pocket for services but may submit a claim form to UnitedHealthcare for reimbursement upon their return to the U.S. Covered expenses will be reimbursed on an out-of-network basis. When submitting a claim to UnitedHealthcare, students must submit an itemized bill(s) translated into English for the medical services provided. International students on the SCU UnitedHealthcare plan are covered as noted above while studying or traveling abroad, however, not in their home country.

To review the UnitedHealthcare PPO insurance plan benefit details, go to Student Health Plan.

All students are welcome to use the Cowell Center regardless of their insurance. Graduate students who have medical insurance other than the university sponsored UnitedHealthcare plan, may access health center services by paying a quarterly fee.  For all students, any fees associated with their visit (i.e. lab work, immunization, medications) those charges will be billed to their student account for payment. We DO NOT bill insurance companies. Student may request a receipt from the receptionist at the Cowell Center so that they may file a claim form with their insurance company.

Students enrolled in the UnitedHealthcare insurance plan may take advantage of the Basix Dental Savings Program available through Gallagher Student Health. Basix is a discount program, not an insurance plan. Students will have copays associated with dental visits. For additional information, go to

Students may also enroll into a separate dental plan with Delta Dental Care HMO during their open enrollment period in September and January. For information on the Delta Dental Care HMO plan please visit here. for benefit and coverage information. It is important to remember the Delta Dental plan is an HMO plan and not PPO plan. Students must go to dental providers that accept this insurance.

You may contact Patricia Sandvick, Student Health Insurance Coordinator, at (408)554-2379 or If you are currently enrolled in the UnitedHealthcare plan and have questions you may contact UnitedHealthcare Student Health at (866)948-8472.