The National Society of Black Engineers is focused on increasing the number of culturally responsible black engineers who succeed academically, excel professionally, and positively impact the community. Our chapter works to support our members while also utilizing our resources and connections to younger students learn about engineering. We host general meetings where we invite professional engineers to our members and discuss internship/job opportunities. These meetings also include professional development workshops (resume writing, elevator pitch, interviewing skills, etc.) to help our members find job opportunities in their field. Additionally, we have one or two social events a quarter to help build relationships within our organization. Every quarter we host an outreach event where we lead younger African-American students in an engineering workshop, student panels, and tours of our campus so that they can learn about engineering and life at SCU.
The NSBE Mission
NSBE believes in achieving academically, serving the community, and producing competent engineers who excel professionally. For the upcoming academic year, NSBE at SCU plans to do the following:
● First, host guest speakers to expand our engineering acumen and professionalism.
● Second, create programs to build community and enhance academic and professional success.
● Third, reach out towards our community to assist in developing the world’s future engineers.
● Finally, attend the annual National NSBE convention for networking, personal professional
development, and job and internship opportunities.
- Stimulate and develop student interest in the various science and engineering disciplines
- Increase the number of minority students pursuing STEM degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- Enable members to pursue independent projects and research
- Encourage members to seek advanced degrees in STEM fields and to obtain professional registrations
- Promote public awareness of STEM and the opportunities for Blacks and other minorities
- Empower members to develop a professional acumen through networking, workshops, company visits, and information sessions
- Access to 20+ companies at regional conferences and over 300 at National Convention career fair
- NSBE members receive discounts to the National Convention and Regional conferences; the largest student-planned conferences in the world. Technical training and unparalleled networking opportunities are available at these conferences as you meet people from all over the world.
- Post your resume free of charge to top engineering companies with NSBE Connect. On NSBE Connect, you will have the opportunity to search for internships, co-ops, and full-time job opportunities.
- Leadership Development: As a member, you will receive exceptional training at regional conferences, the National Convention, and through your SCU chapter. You also have the opportunity to serve on a Regional and/or National Executive Board.
- Academic support is provided via tutoring and academic achievement programs
- Free KAPLAN test preparation available at conferences (up to $1,400 value).
- Apply for various scholarships and grants. Scholarships are awarded every year to deserving undergraduate students, many of which do not even require a GPA.
- Meet thousands of other students and technical professionals in your field of study.
- Pursue independent projects and research.
- Connect with top science and technology companies through information sessions and visits
- Give back to the community through NSBE's mentor programs
Events, Activities & Educational Outreach
- Regional conferences
- Company Tours and Visits
- General meetings
- Independent projects
- NSBE Jr. Mentorship
- Information Sessions
- Guest speakers
Board & Contact Information
President: Malonda McElwee
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Tokunbo Ogunfunmi
Organization Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to our SCU student chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) recently named their region's Best Small Chapter at the 2018 NSBE National Convention in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. What makes SCU NSBE so great? Find out here.