"The Outbreak": Discussion Questions
- What should the Mubanda health minister do? The options mentioned in the case are listed below:
- Divert what resources she could from HIV/AIDS programs to buy supplies of Holizan at the current global price of $450 per regiment
- Ask Rosendahl to make supplies of Holizan available free or at production cost
- Arrange with a generic drug firm in South Africa to produce a Holizan equivalent without permission form or payment to Rosendahl.
- Wait and see how the crisis develops
- Should Rosendahl provide Holizan for free? At production cost? At a price that will cover development costs to break even? At a price that will turn a profit
- What do you think of the WTO rules?
- What do you think of Celine Charvariet of OXFAM's statement that "poverty alone in the third world ought to justify violating patent rights on a very broad set of drugs"?
- How will WTO patent rules affect new R&D on pharmaceuticals for the third world?
Jul 1, 2010
More Bioethics Stories
Think now about the care you want
New law “indicts” state of near-death care, doctor says.
Some questions about helps and harms
Synthetic biology, bioengineering, and biotinkering offer great promise with appropriate caution.
Bioethicist Silvia Camporesi speaks at SCU
Listen to the podcast of Silvia Camporesi describing the new gene editing techniques and the bioethical and biopolitical ramifications.