Technology and the Ethical Imagination
An Ethics Center-Tech Museum Collaboration
Visitors to the Tech Museum interact with an installation on ethics and biodesign
Technology gives people god-like powers. With it, we extend life, create comfort, ease suffering and generate wealth like never before. But we also use it to destroy life and degrade the environment at previously unimaginable levels.
Our community – Silicon Valley – needs forums for steering straight into the ethical dilemmas created by the technologies this region develops. One such forum is “Technology and the Ethical Imagination,” a partnership between the Ethics Center and The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose. The Center and The Tech collaborate on integrating ethics into the museum's exhibits, events, and educational programs.
This project is made possible through the generous support of Charmaine and Dan Warmenhoven.
Ethics Resources for The Tech Exhibits
Biodesign and Ethics
- Ethics of Biodesign
- Hacking Life? The Politics and Poetics of DIY Biology (PDF)
- DIY bio community Code of Ethics for the United States and Europe
- Little Prevention, Less Cure: Synthetic Biology, Existential Risk, and Ethics (PDF)
- Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues’ report on the ethics of synthetic biology and other emerging technologies
- Synthetic Biology in the Age of Biohacking
Cyber Detectives and Ethics
- Ethical Questions about Encryption
- The Ethics of Online Privacy Protection
- Surreptitious Surveillance on the Internet: An Ethics Case Study
- Keys Under Doormats: Mandating insecurity by requiring government access to all data and communications (Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory Technical Report)
- Hacker Lexicon: What are White Hat, Gray Hat and Black Hat Hackers?
- Face-Off: Is Vulnerability Research Ethical?
- Ethics of Hacking Back: A Policy Paper on Cyber Security
Social Robots and Ethics
- Social Robots, AI, and Ethics
- The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
- Tech Giants Team up to Tackle the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
- Why the Future Doesn’t Need us
- Benefits and Risks of Artificial Intelligence
- The Upside of Artificial Intelligence Development