Housing Application Frequently Asked Questions
When are the application dates?
- 2024-2025 Sophomore application opens Wednesday, January 17 2024 at 9:00am, and is due February 7, 2024 at 11:59PM
- 2024-2025 NU New application opens Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 9:00am, and is due January 10, 2024 at 11:59PM
- 2024-2025 University Villas Junior/Senior application opens Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 9:00AM, and is due February 7, 2024 at 11:59PM
- We will accept applications after the submission deadlines, but late applicants will not go through the room selection process. Late applicants will be waitlisted and placed once and if space is available.
How will Room Selection be organized?
- For sophomores:
- Those returning to their current (2023-2024) RLC will have priority to return. Returners will participate in the Returner Room Selection process for their respective RLC. Residents looking to return to their RLC will be organized based on a random lottery number. Returners going through as Individuals will receive their own lottery number. Returners in a group will have their lottery numbers averaged out.
- Students who would like to move out of their current RLC, will go through the Open Room Selection process, where they will see all spaces available. Please keep in mind that spaces available will depend on the spaces not reserved by returners. Historically, Loyola/Sobrato, Cura/Finn, and Alpha/Graham have had a very large percentage of returning students, and we anticipate having only a handful of spaces available for new sophomore residents. Individuals will receive their own lottery number. Groups will have their lottery numbers averaged out.
- For juniors and seniors who applied to live in University Villas, all students will participate in the Open Room Selection process. Lottery numbers will be assigned randomly, which will decide in what order each student will select a space. Individuals will receive their own lottery number. Groups will have their lottery numbers averaged out.
- Groups of 3-6 will have priority to select from 4-bedroom apartments in University Villas.NOTE: 4-bedroom apartments in University Villas will be six person units. 4 and 5 person units will not be available.
- Individual students or students in groups of 2 will have priority to select from 2-bedroom apartments in University Villas prior to the vacant spots that have not been filled in larger 4 bedroom units.
Can my group be considered a returner group and have priority to return to our RLC?
Yes, if every member of your group currently resides in that RLC then the group is considered a returning group and will have priority to select. Please keep in mind that if 1 member of the group is not from that RLC, the entire group is then considered a non-returner group. (Ex: all 4 group members live in Cura RLC and want to return to Cura RLC, this group is a retuner group BUT if 1 of those 4 members is from Cyphi while the other 3 are from Cura, the group is considered non-retuners)
What is a group leader?
- The group leader must make the group profile in the application before other members can join.
- The group leader can assign group members during room selection. Regardless of group affiliation, individuals within the group may assign themselves during room selection.
What if my group leader cancels their application before room selection?
- If a group leader cancels their application, email email@example.com to have the group leader changed and copy all other members of the group by February 7th, 2024. No group change requests will be approved after the application deadline.
I applied for a room change to a different community. Does this impact my application for 2024-2025?
- Priority will be given to those returning to the same community, prior to students who have selected the non-returner route.
Which communities will have triple rooms available to Sophomore, Juniors & Seniors? Please note there is limited availability of triple rooms.
- Please refer to the respective web page for either Sophomores or Juniors & Seniors to learn more about room types available.
Am I required to have a dining plan?
- All residents are required to have a dining plan.
- Neighborhood Unit residents will be assigned the Apartment Resident Dining plan.
Are single gender floors available?
- All female wing on 3rd floor McLaughlin-McLaughlin Walsh (Unity RLC)
- All male wing on 3rd floor McLaughlin-Walsh (Unity RLC)
How do I make changes to my application?
- You can make changes to your application prior to submitting your application. No changes can be made after the published deadlines.
- If you have submitted your application, you may request changes by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org until February 7th, 2024 at 11:59pm.
I have a housing accommodation through the Office of Accessible Education. How does this affect my application & selection process?
- If you go through the application and room selection process as an individual, you will be notified by the Housing Office of next steps.
- If you go through the application and room selection process in a group, you waive your housing accommodation. As a reminder, your approved accommodation applies only to you.
I applied after the published deadline, what do I do now?
- Since you submitted your application after the deadline, you will be placed on a waitlist and assigned manually, depending on available space. Keep in mind you will not be part of a group and will not receive a room selection date and time, and will not be placed with your requested group.
- If you joined a group prior to the submission deadline but submitted your application after the deadline, your group leader WILL NOT be able to place you in a space during their room selection appointment. Email email@example.com to be removed from the room selection group to avoid any issues for your group during room selection.