Skip to main content

Prepare for Move-In?

How to prepare for Move In?

We look forward to welcoming you to campus this Fall 2023.

Any student wishing to move in early may volunteer to assist with Welcome Weekend. Please look out for an email in August to volunteer. No other student requests for early move-in will be granted. 

As you prepare your transition to Santa Clara University, the Housing Office encourages you to consider the two lists of items listed below! Remember plan accordingly, as you pack and prepare for your move to your new residence hall room which may house one or two roommates, two or three sets of university-issued furniture, and your personal belongings along with those of your roommate(s). Consider the size of residence hall rooms and try not to bring too many items! 

The University has sustainability commitments to be carbon neutral and zero-waste next year. Please help SCU reach its goals by stopping to think if you really need need to bring a particular item of if you can use available campus resources. (Plus, it’ll make an easier move-out.)


LINENS -  All students will need to provide their own sheets, a blanket or comforter, and a pillow. All of the mattresses within buildings that house first-year and sophomore students are extra-long twin (38 x 80 inches) and therefore require extra-long twin sheets. Please note: University Villas has full-size beds. 

TOWELS & TOILETRIES* - Along with a bath towel students should also plan to bring a shower caddy to carry items to and from the bathroom. A limited supply of affordable shower caddies will be available at the donation-based Bronco Surplus pop-up shop, held at the Get Organized Vendor Fair on the Saturday of Welcome Weekend.
CONVENIENCE APPLIANCES* - Various appliances such as small microwave ovens, mini-refrigerators (up to 4.5 cubic feet), coffee pots, and hot pots without exposed coils are all permitted within the residence halls at SCU. ALL appliances must be energy star certified. Additionally, a vendor is present on-campus the first week of Fall quarter to rent mini-refrigerators to students. Of course, personal computers are permitted as well and the Housing Office encourages students to bring a computer so as to take advantage of the data networking and WiFi services within your room. Prior to bringing appliances like your own fridge or microwave, consider using communal kitchen appliances in your residence halls. This will make for an easier move-out and you’ll have more space in your room!
EMERGENCY SUPPLIES - The Housing Office also encourages students to consider keeping items such as a flashlight, batteries, and any other personal emergency supplies within their room. Furthermore, it is suggested that students keep and maintain a minimum 3 day supply of medications, water, and non-perishable items for any specific dietary needs. 
MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS* - Additional items that should be considered include clothes hangers, an alarm clock, a study lamp, an iron, and a laundry bag. If you plan to bring a bicycle, also plan to bring a heavy-duty bicycle lock. Some of these additional, miscellaneous items can be found at the Bronco Surplus pop-up shop during Welcome Weekend.
ROOM DECOR* - Although students are permitted to add simple furnishings to their rooms, students are not allowed to remove university issued furniture or permanently alter rooms. There are rooms in which the furniture can be lofted or the beds bunked. Lofts that are constructed by any means other than using university issues furniture are not permitted. The painting of rooms is never allowed. However, you may hang posters and similar materials on the walls but make sure to use a hanging method that does not cause permanent damage to the walls. Textile materials such as sheets, nets, or other large pieces of fabric may not be hung from walls or ceilings for fire-safety reasons. The Housing Office has found that plants, posters, and pictures are all excellent means by which to personalize your room. Shop for decor when you arrive to campus! The Bronco Surplus pop-up may have decor, along with organizers and smaller household items (i.e. mugs) available!

ITEMS TO LEAVE AT HOME                                               

COOKING & HEATING APPLIANCES - Due to health and safety concerns and energy demands, sunlamps, torchiere halogen lamps, crockpots, toaster ovens, hot plates, space heaters, and other appliances with exposed heating units are not permitted in the residence halls. Furthermore, fire regulations do not permit flammable liquids, such as chemicals, gasoline, or lighter fluid within any residential building.

KNIVES FOR COOKING - Unless you are residing in an apartment with a kitchen, do not bring knives for cooking to campus. Knives for use in food preparation within the community kitchens can be checked out from the residence hall service desks.

AMPLIFIED INSTRUMENTS or DRUM SETS - These items are not allowed in residence halls, and will be confiscated and you will be required to ship these items home if they are seen or heard within the residence halls.

DRUGS or ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES -  Any student found in possession of or using illegal drugs will be documented and adjudicated through the Santa Clara University disciplinary process.

WEAPONS or EXPLOSIVE AGENTS -   The possession of any weapon including BB guns, air guns, firearms, hunting equipment, knives, martial arts tools, stun guns, paint-pellet guns, or any items of a similar nature, is prohibited in the residence halls. The use or possession of fireworks, firecrackers, or other explosives or chemicals is also prohibited.

The University is not responsible for the safety of personal possessions. In many cases, a student’s personal belongings are covered under a student's homeowners insurance. If this is not the case for you, the Housing Office suggests obtaining additional insurance.



Vaccine Requirement 

SCU requires the COVID-19 primary series plus a booster OR one dose of the bivalent/updated vaccine. All Santa Clara University students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Students must be complete or in progress of vaccination as of August 1, 2023. All immunization records must be uploaded to the Cowell Health Portal.

International students & global nomads arriving from overseas: Students coming from outside of the US, who have not been able to receive all required immunizations, can finish their vaccinations once arriving at SCU. 

Testing & Isolation

Nearly 100% of students, faculty, and staff have verified that they are vaccinated and boosted. As we have transitioned towards becoming a highly vaccinated campus community, University Housing will operate with an isolate-in-place model in the residence hall. 

Any student who has tested positive for COVID-19 prior to returning to campus may only move in after they have completed their isolation period and are symptom-free. Rapid antigen tests are available from the Test Forms and More! vending machine in the Learning Commons.

Students who test positive for COVID once on campus must report their positive test result and isolate for a minimum of 5 days — this means they cannot attend class, labs, or other course activities in person during their isolation period - and must observe all isolation protocols and precautions.  

The SCU COVID Support Team responds to every identified positive case of COVID-19 on our campus and provides resources and instructions to resident students for isolating in place. 

More information can be found on the Prepared SCU website.

You will not be able to see your residence hall room prior to your scheduled move-in date. Please visit our room layout and dimension page to see the average residence hall space for each community. 

Please note: We are unable to go to resident spaces to take measurements. This will have to be done at move-in.

Please note: You can begin sending mail to campus one week prior to your scheduled move-in date. 

Proper Address Format for Incoming Student Mail

All Mail will be picked up at the Campus Post Office, which is located in the Facilities/Support Service Building (Building #604). 

All incoming mail (letters, flats, boxes, and packages) MUST be addressed as follows:

Student Name
SCU-_ _ _ _ *
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053-_ _ _ _ *

*Your 4-digit box number is assigned by Housing Services.

  • The term P.O. BOX should never be used in your address.

  • All mail is identified and sorted by your box number. All mail without a box number will be returned to the sender. DO NOT have mail addressed to your room number or residence hall/RLC name - it will not be delivered.

Campus Post Office Hours- Fall 2023 Move In

  • Wednesday, September 6th - Thursday, September 14th: 9:00AM - 4:30PM
  • Friday, September 15th: 9:00AM - 4:30PM
  • Saturday, September 16th: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
  • Sunday, September 17th: 10:00AM - 3:00PM

Amazon Lockers

Most Amazon purchases can be sent to the Amazon lockers on campus. Select "Amazon Locker - Broncos" to have your Amazon packages delivered to the lockers in Alameda Hall. You have 3 days from the date of delivery to pick up your package. 


Wednesday, September 13th:

  • Mission Bakery - 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
  • Side Bar - 8:00 AM. - 6:00 PM 

Thursday, September 14th:

  • Mission Bakery - 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
  • Side Bar - 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
  • Fire Grill - 11:00 AM - 8:30 PM
  • Salad Bar - 11:00 AM - 8:30 PM

Friday, September 15th: 

  • Mission Bakery - 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM
  • Side Bar - 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
  • La Parilla - 7:00 AM - 10:30 AM, 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Cellar Market - 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
  • Fresh Bytes - 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Simply Oasis - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Sushi - 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
  • Stacks Deli - 11:00 AM - 3:30 PM
  • Açai - 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM
  • Fire Grill - 11:00 AM - 8:30 PM
  • Global Grill - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM
  • Trattoria - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Spice Market - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Salad Bar / Toast Bar - 10:00 AM - 8:30 PM
  • Outside BBQ - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM

Saturday, September 16th:

  • Mission Bakery - 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM
  • La Parilla - 7:00 AM - 10:30 AM, 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Cellar Market - 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
  • Fresh Bytes - 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
  • Simply Oasis - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM
  • Sushi - 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
  • Stacks Deli - 11:00 AM - 3:30 PM
  • Açai - 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM
  • The Slice - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Fire Grill - 11:00 AM - 8:30 PM
  • Global Grill - 7:00 AM - 10:30 AM, 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM
  • Trattoria - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Spice Market - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM
  • Salad Bar / Toast Bar - 7:00 AM - 8:30 PM

Sunday, September 17th: 

  • Mission Bakery - 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM
  • La Parilla - 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Cellar Market - 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
  • The Slice -  5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Fire Grill - 11:00 AM - 8:30 PM
  • Global Grill - 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Trattoria - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • Spice Market - 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM
  • Salad Bar / Toast Bar - 10:00 AM - 8:30 PM


Getting Connected to the Campus Network

    • eduroam (SCU Campus wireless)
      • All students need to connect to the campus eduroam wireless to access their MySCU Portal page.
    • Click on eduroam/ 
    • Enter your full email address & SSO password- 
    • For Macs, accept the Clearpass certificate. 
    • Smart Print: (Student Printing client recommended)
    • By using the smartprint client, the student can print anywhere on campus and not just to one printer.
    • It's secured printing because the user will need to release their print jobs by tabbing on the release station with their access cards to release their print jobs. 
    • Print jobs are queued up for at least 2 hours. If not released, they will auto-delete.
    • In every Residence hall, there is one network jack activated per our networking team.
    • The students will need to register their gaming devices on BroncoFi first
    • If any issues with network jacks in the Residence halls, the student will need to create a support ticket using the Web ticket system & request to have their network jack activated:
      • Log into the Web Ticket System at 
      • Click on New Request on the upper right/ 
      • Select ***Technology Help Desk- Network jack Activation
      • Fill out the ticket template and submit it.

As noted in the Santa Clara University Housing Contract, SCU assumes no financial responsibility and
provides no insurance or financial protection for the personal property of students. Most homeowner policies will cover renters insurance for dependents living on campus. We suggest you contact your family's insurance agent for clarification on your policy. 

If you are looking for renters insurance, the University has a relationship with GradGuard’s exclusive student renters insurance program & Gallagher. View a short video for GradGuard here. We suggest you shop around for the best provider and policy for you and your family. 

Santa Clara University is not responsible for canceling your Renters Insurance policy
following changed plans. All policy changes and cancellations must go through the
third-party provider, GradGuard. Students must notify GradGuard when they graduate
or move out of their insured residence, as GradGuard will not be aware otherwise.
Students can cancel their policy anytime within their online account at or they can call 866-985-7598 to speak with an agent.

To contact Grad Guard:

Phone: 866-985-7598


Bronco Storage
Micro-Fridge Rental
On-Campus Laundry