Waste Diversion in Residence Halls

These guidelines identify materials that can be placed in residence halls' external waste/recycling areas.


These items should be composted by placing in a residence hall's external waste/recycling area.

  • Leftover food 
  • Food-soiled paper & cardboard (pizza boxes)
  • Dining Services to-go
  • Coffee grounds and tea bags
  • Plants
  • Paper towels
Personal Compost Pail

Residents can acquire a personal compost pail to use in their room during the school year. Pails are distributed the first two weeks of school at information sessions. Contact sustainability@scu.edu to find out when information sessions will occur near your residence hall.


These items should be recycled by placing in a residence hall's external waste/recycling area, or at a residence hall's service desk.

Mixed Recycling
  • Plastic: all types. Please empty and rinse as appropriate. 
  • Thin-film plastic: plastic bags (dry cleaning, bread, grocery) and plastic wrap (cellophane, shrink wrap). Please bundle in a clear bag and knot the top.
  • Metal
  • Glass
  • Paper: white/colored paper, newspaper, magazine, paperboard boxes, photographs. Staples and tape are OK.
  • Milk cartons
  • Corrugated cardboard, including CLEAN pizza box tops. Please flatten all boxes. Please place in the gray cart in the residence hall's external waste area.
Universal Waste
  • Batteries, cell phones, cords, light bulbs, ink cartridges, CD/DVDs. Please recycle at service desk containers.
Electronic Waste (E-Waste)
  • Items with an electric cord or battery, such as a lamp, TV, microwave, or personal fan. Please place in residence hall external waste area, near the "e-waste" sign along the wall. 
Items that can be reused should be donated or re-purposed. 
Swap with a friend, or donate to the Swap for Good or during Move-Out
  • Clothing (still wearable) 
  • Shoes (still wearable)
  • Small housewares
One Column -