MobilePrint is a mobile print service supplimenting SmartPrint with the following features:
- submit print jobs from mobile devices (smartphones, iPad, tablets, laptops) via email
- submit print jobs without installing any print drivers
- release mobile print jobs at any SmartPrint printer
If your mobile device (or computer) can send email, you can send print jobs to SmartPrint!
Note: Print jobs remain in the Print Pools for 2 hours. If they are not released within that timeframe, they will be removed from the Print Pool.
MobilePrint will accept the following compatible file types:
- PDF file
- Microsoft Word file (.doc, .docx, .dot)
- Microsoft Excel file (.xls, .xlt, .xlsx, .xltx, .xlsm, .xltm)
- Microsoft PowerPoint file (.ppt, .pptx, .pptm, .pot, .pps, .potx, .ppsx)
- Microsoft Visio file (.vsd, .vss, .vst, .vdx, .vsx, .vtx, .vdw)
- Microsoft Outlook file (.msg, .eml)
- Open Office document (.odt, .ods, .ott, .odp, .odg, .odf) *tested with OpenOffice 4.0 only
- image file (.bmp, .jpg, .gif, .tif, .png)
- Rich Text File (.rtf)
- Plain Text file (.txt, .csv, .ini, .cfg)
Send EMail to MobilePrint
To submit a print job through MobilePrint, simply compose an email to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org (do not include any spaces as part of the address), attach files of compatible type to the email, send the email, and wait for an email response from MobilePrint. If your email has a message body, the message body will be submitted as a separate print job. Helpful Tip: If you just want to print an email message, simply forward the email message to email@example.com.
MobilePrint EMail Responses
After emailing and submitting files to MobilePrint, the MobilePrint server will retrieve the email, process the email file attachments, and send an email response with the status of your print job(s). You should receive an email response from MobilePrint in one to two minutes. You may receive one of the following responses:
- Documents are ready for release - Your files were submitted successfully. You may go to a SmartPrint Release Station as usual, and tap your ACCESS card. You should see your MobilePrint jobs on the display. Select your print job(s) and print.
- Documents were unable to be processed - You attached an incompatible file in your email. MobilePrint did not know how to read the attached file and failed to submit it for printing. Please refer to the MobilePrint compatible files above.
- Register your email address - MobilePrint/SmartPrint already knows your Santa Clara scu.edu email address. If you submit files from your scu.edu email, there is no need to register your scu.edu email address. However, if you use your personal email address to send files for printing, MobilePrint needs to register your personal email address and associated it with your SCU Username. To register your personal email address, you must be on-campus using the SCU network. Click on the "Click to register your email address" link in the email response. This link will take you to the Print Center and ask you to login. Enter your SCU Username (eg. JSmith) and password. Once you login correctly, MobilePrint/SmartPrint will associate your personal email address with your SCU Username. After registering your personal email address, you can send files for printing from either your scu.edu email account or your personal email account. You should get another email response from MobilePrint saying your documents are ready for release.